cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup push using silentclient.cmd

shashi0621
Level 5

Hi All,

I am pushing NBU windows client software on 50 clients in the network.

I am using this silentclient.cmd script

1...i have to run this script on master server or on a client where NBU is not installed

2.... in this SET CLIENT = ...........I can mention my 50 client name?If yes what is the systax for that. space between them or comma?

@ECHO OFF
REM Change the following lines to reflect the name of this master server, and any other servers
REM allowed to access this client. These options have no effect when reinstalling NetBackup.
SET CLIENT=%COMPUTERNAME%
SET MASTERSERVER=swigva01-bck-01

3....If i goes to instaal client software using GUI installation wizard,then i need to run that on windows master server or any windows client(nbu not installed)

Windows 7
NBU 7.1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If you use a software packager in your environment that pushes out software then you can provide the software to the packager and have it just run the silent installer cmd file on each client

If you set the computer name to be %COMPUTERNAME% then as the program runs on each client it will set its name correctly

It cannot be run from the Master Server - only on each client

I have used this with clients to install 100's of clients without issue

You can use the installer from another server and select clients on the network to install - this is a manual process requiring all to be of the same O/S type (32 bit or 64 bit) and all installed to the same location (C:\Program Files\Veritas) - this can be run from the Master or any other server whether NBU is installed or not as long as you follow the 32 bit / 64 bit rule.

If you do run it from the Master and that has NBU installed on the D drive it will try and install all clients to the D drive

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

sri_vani
Level 6
Partner

silentclient.cmd

This script is located on the installation media for NetBackup 7.x in:
\<media path>\PC_clnt\x64\silentclient.cmd

Use of this method requires editing certain fields within the silentclient.cmd script, so the installation image should be copied on to a local file system or network share.

The following fields will need to be modified within the script to reflect the environment:

SET CLIENT=<This computer>
SET MASTERSERVER=<master server>
SET ADDITIONALSERVERS=<media servers>
SET INSTALLDIR=C:\Program Files\VERITAS\    (if installing to location other than the default)

Also https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-75-silentclientcmd-error#comment-9153571

To run the Client Setup from Master Server,you can install in multiple clients in one time.

1. Click in "Installation"
  2. Select "Client Software Installation"
  3. In next window, click "Next"
  4. Read the Terms and mark "Agree with the Symantec...."
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Mark "Install to multiple computers..."
  7. Mark "Custom"
  8. Click "Next"
  9. Netbackup Options, Click "Next"
  10. Netbackup Services, Click "Next"
  11. Config the additional Server if you want, then click "Next"
  12. Here you will Browse or Add the computers, in your domain, you want to install the NetBackup client. You can import computers from a list to.
  13. Click "Next"
  14. Read the Summary, then click in "Install".

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks Srivani.

I have also read this link/doc.But i have these 3 doubts regarding the silentclient.cmd script.

1...i have to run this script on master server or on a client where NBU is not installed

2.... in this SET CLIENT = ...........I can mention my 50 client name?If yes what is the systax for that. space between them or comma?

@ECHO OFF
REM Change the following lines to reflect the name of this master server, and any other servers
REM allowed to access this client. These options have no effect when reinstalling NetBackup.

3....If i goes to instaal client software using GUI installation wizard,then i need to run that on windows master server or any windows client(nbu not installed)

shashi0621
Level 5

HELP GUYS !!!!!!!!!1

shashi0621
Level 5

Hello all,

Can anybody please reply on this query??

RonCaplinger
Level 6

"silentclient.cmd" doesn't work the way you think.  You can only use the silentclient.cmd on one client at a time and have to update the various fields indicated with client name, master server name, etc.  You need to execute it from the client where you are installing the NBU software, so either copy the install files to the client or mount the NBU software location to each client, I guess. 

What you want is the included NetBackup LiveUpdate function, which will be available for future upgrades once it has been installed from the regular Windows installer.  "silentclient.cmd" doesn't install the LiveUpdate featuer, according to my Windows admin.

You will need to manually install NetBackup on each of the Windows boxes the first time, set up a LiveUpdate server and download and unzip the LiveUpdate packages for your clients, and then you can patch/upgrade all of them at once in the future from the NBU Java GUI.

ontherocks
Level 6

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks Ron.

i have left with below doubts:

on client

@ECHO OFF

ontherocks
Level 6

You need to run this on each client

You can only use the silentclient.cmd on one client at a time

shashi0621
Level 5

1...then what is the use of this script.I can also install using the browser.exe method then.?

2...for installing on multiple clients,browser.exe is the only method( install on available networks on client?

3....If i goes to instaal client software using GUI installation wizard,then i need to run that on windows master server or any windows client(nbu not installed)???????

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If you use a software packager in your environment that pushes out software then you can provide the software to the packager and have it just run the silent installer cmd file on each client

If you set the computer name to be %COMPUTERNAME% then as the program runs on each client it will set its name correctly

It cannot be run from the Master Server - only on each client

I have used this with clients to install 100's of clients without issue

You can use the installer from another server and select clients on the network to install - this is a manual process requiring all to be of the same O/S type (32 bit or 64 bit) and all installed to the same location (C:\Program Files\Veritas) - this can be run from the Master or any other server whether NBU is installed or not as long as you follow the 32 bit / 64 bit rule.

If you do run it from the Master and that has NBU installed on the D drive it will try and install all clients to the D drive

@Mark_SolutionsCan you please share the silentclient.cmd file, i tried but getting error 

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : Command produced the following output (will display up to 8192 characters):

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : -------------------------------------------------------------------------->

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : The validation of root certificate fingerprint is successful.

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : CA certificate stored successfully from server masterserver

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : --------------------------------------------------------------------------<

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : CA certificate deployed successfully.

01-04-2019,18:40:45 : Authorization Token specification is [SKIP]. Will not use token when deploying host certificate.

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : Removing registry containing security info.

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : Executed command: ["C:\Users\mc43585\AppData\Local\Temp\nbcertcmdtool.exe" -getCertificate -atLibPath "C:\Users\mc43585\AppData\Local\Temp" -server mcdsinputl1016.corp.pri -installDir "C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup" -host MCDCSFDAPP4120 -mediaServListFile "C:\Users\mc43585\AppData\Local\Temp\NB_ms.8944" -debugFile "C:\ProgramData\Veritas\NetBackup\InstallLogs\GetHostCertificate.20190104.104045.log"].

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : Command produced the following output (will display up to 8192 characters):

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : -------------------------------------------------------------------------->

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : nbcertcmdtool: The -getCertificate operation failed for server Master_server

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : EXIT STATUS 14: file write failed

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : --------------------------------------------------------------------------<

+ 01-04-2019,18:40:47 : Attempt to deploy host certificate failed with status code [14].

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : NetBackup security requirements are documented at https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000127129.

01-04-2019,18:40:47 : CustomAction Immediate_DeploySecurityCertificates returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

+ 01-04-2019,18:40:47 : Action ended 18:40:47: Immediate_DeploySecurityCertificates. Return value 3.

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Security certificates were deployed earlier in the installation process.

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Attempting to remove certificates as part of rollback.

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Certificate with host ID [1f0535f1-893d-47ad-9bce-a742095e25f9] was successfully removed.

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Successfully removed CA Certificate [C:\Program Files\VERITAS\\NetBackup\var\webtruststore\cacert.pem].

+ 01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Action ended 18:40:48: INSTALL. Return value 3.

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): DiskPrompt = ![CDATA[[1]]]

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Commit_CreateSupportFilesServer = C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Deferred_AddressIPv6ClientServiceChanges = C:\Program Files\VERITAS\

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Deferred_CreateLogDirectories = C:\Program Files\VERITAS\ 0

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Deferred_DuplicateDLLsCheck = T

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Deferred_EnableSessionCaching = C:\Program Files\VERITAS\ 1

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Deferred_ForceMaxLogLevel = C:\Program Files\VERITAS\

01-04-2019,18:40:48 : Property(S): Deferred_NBCheck = 1 -Dwebsvc_user="nbwebsvc" -Dwebsvc_group="nbwebgrp" -Dwebsvc_domain="" 1 C:\Users\

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Hi

My solution above was going back 4 years and prior to the new versions that insist on certificates.

All clients must now be able to communicate to the Master Server on port 1556 to install or upgrade  as they have to gather the certificates.

The new silent files will probably need a token specifying to get it to work and will need the master servers fingerprint adding too. You can generate a token from the Admin console and if, for example, you plan to deploy 100 clients over a 2 week period just set the token for that many uses and time period and then you can use the same token for all of your installations.

In your case the failed install will need a token adding to get it working but other installs should be OK once you specify the fingerprint (SET CA_CERTIFICATE_FINGERPRINT = ) and a token (SET AUTHORIZATION_TOKEN) in the silentclient.cmd installation file.

Hope this helps

@Mark_Solutionsi tried adding figer print and token ring as well but its not working 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Can you definitely contact (telnet) the master on port 1556 from the client?

You should start a new thread for your issue as things are very different from when this thread was created - you will get more dedicated help if you do that.

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Ranjit1

Please stick to this post regarding your 'silentclient' issue:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Re-SCCM-automation-using-silentclient-cmd-8-1-1/m-p/861782

I have locked this 2014 post.