cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup question

NBuser_123
Level 3

Hi,

I am in a dilemma, please help!!! Here is the scenario. We moved our Oracle databases from old unix box (server A) to a newer one (server B). There is netbackup client installed on server A. Our Unix SA is facing some issues in installing NetBackup client on server B. I have configured the RMAN backups on server B so that they are written to disk. But I want to copy these RMAN backup sets / backup pieces to server A and back them to tape using NetBackup client. Is it possible? If so what are the steps, can you explain briefly? Do I need to use the same policy that is existing and the schedule, or do I need to create a new policy and schedule and use it?

Thanks,

Akram

7 REPLIES 7

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

you have an Oracle database on B.

You setup Oracle on B to do the backup to disk  - like to dir /backup  or /flash_recovery_area

At this point they are just flat files.

If your dba was to do a restore he would do it from these files on disk  - so you just need to get those files to tape

rdist, ftp, nfs whatever to A  then just do a backup of A.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Same question as this post? https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/rman-netbackup-backup-tapes

Why not fix this problem : "Our Unix SA is facing some issues in installing NetBackup client on server B."?

Please let us know OS on server B and the NBU version and what errors are seen during install?

NBuser_123
Level 3

Hi Marianne van den Berg,

Yes same question in the other post. I am not sure what issues he (our SA) is facing. I will check with him and post it here.

BTW the OS on server A and B is Solaris version 10. The NBU version is 6.5

I will get the details on what issues are preventing from installing the NBU.

Thanks,

Akram

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU 6.5 is perfectly supported on Solaris 10. There should be no reason for installation failure...

NBuser_123
Level 3

I took the backup on server B (backup to disk), and then transferred the files (backup sets) to server A. I tried to send these files to the tape using bp command (interactive menu) but I got this below error in the process log:

11:31:49 INF - Backup by oracle on client ebdm01-ebr:no schedules of the correct
 type exist in this policy

Can somebody let me know how to resolve this issue? Can I create a new policy (with a new schedule) if this policy is the issue? If so can somebody provide the command or steps on how to create the policy.

And how do I direct bp command to use this new policy? Am I going in the wrong direction? Please guide...

Thanks,

AM

Will_Restore
Level 6

EXIT STATUS 240: no schedules of the correct type exist in this policy

Solution

Check for the existence of a policy, for the client on which bpbackup is being run, and the presence of a schedule in the policy that is of type "User Backup".  If it does not exist, this would result in the job exiting with a  status code 240.  Note that in the bpbackup command you only need to specify the policy, and do not need to specify a schedule name.  
SOLUTION: If a User Backup schedule does not exist, create a schedule of type User Backup, and ensure that there is an open backup window for the time the bpbackup command is being run.  If there is no open backup window, you would then receive a status 199 at the next invocation of the bpbackup command.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I agree with wrobbins that you need to make sure you have a policy - and that serverA's names in in that policy.

Then create a user backup schedule in that policy - now you might need to create more than one if you want to have your dailies with one retention and your weeklies with a different retention - then you would need to specify the schedule in the command to make sure you get the correct retention.

but the easy way

Server A is already being backed up right?  It is already in a policy right?

If you have the data on A and A is getting backed up  - no need for a special policy  just make sure this new data it is getting backed up in the jobs that are backing up serverA