cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup - sql database with multiple instances on vmware vm

Tommen
Level 3

I've got a virtualized 2008 R2 VMware VM with several instances of SQL Server 2008 R2.  I've got the client installed:  Under File>Set SQL Server Connection properties>myhost, under instance I can see the different instances listed, however I can only choose one instance at the time.  With a vmware policy type, I can't designate a bch file for the backup selection.  Is it possible to backup multiple instances with a vmware policy type (Enable SQL Server Recovery/truncate logs), and if so what is the proper way to specify all instances?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

In VMware starting with 7.5 we use Application State Capture. This can only be a full backup. Unfortunately no instances can be specified.

HOWTO69849 talks about the process of setting up a policy. You will need to install the Symantec VSS provider and that will require a reboot of the machine.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to set SQL Server Connection properties on the Client.

This 'Feature Briefing' contains features, requirements, limitations and HOWTO:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209815

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

In VMware starting with 7.5 we use Application State Capture. This can only be a full backup. Unfortunately no instances can be specified.

HOWTO69849 talks about the process of setting up a policy. You will need to install the Symantec VSS provider and that will require a reboot of the machine.

Tommen
Level 3

So to clarify, according to HOWTO69849, when using an application state capture you DO NOT have to set the SQL Server Connection properties on the client?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to set SQL Server Connection properties on the Client.

This 'Feature Briefing' contains features, requirements, limitations and HOWTO:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209815