cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup - sql database with multiple instances on vmware vm

Tommen
Level 3

I've got a virtualized 2008 R2 VMware VM with several instances of SQL Server 2008 R2.  I've got the client installed:  Under File>Set SQL Server Connection properties>myhost, under instance I can see the different instances listed, however I can only choose one instance at the time.  With a vmware policy type, I can't designate a bch file for the backup selection.  Is it possible to backup multiple instances with a vmware policy type (Enable SQL Server Recovery/truncate logs), and if so what is the proper way to specify all instances?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

In VMware starting with 7.5 we use Application State Capture. This can only be a full backup. Unfortunately no instances can be specified.

HOWTO69849 talks about the process of setting up a policy. You will need to install the Symantec VSS provider and that will require a reboot of the machine.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to set SQL Server Connection properties on the Client.

This 'Feature Briefing' contains features, requirements, limitations and HOWTO:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209815

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

In VMware starting with 7.5 we use Application State Capture. This can only be a full backup. Unfortunately no instances can be specified.

HOWTO69849 talks about the process of setting up a policy. You will need to install the Symantec VSS provider and that will require a reboot of the machine.

Tommen
Level 3

So to clarify, according to HOWTO69849, when using an application state capture you DO NOT have to set the SQL Server Connection properties on the client?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No need to set SQL Server Connection properties on the Client.

This 'Feature Briefing' contains features, requirements, limitations and HOWTO:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH209815