cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup the physical end of the tape has been reached

issmag
Level 5

Hello,

i try to realize some duplications on tape, but i receved this message : "netbackup the physical end of the tape has been reached"

is there a way to show the physical end of the tapes ?

Master server is Windows 2003.

NBU : 7.0.1

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Check this post...

https://www.veritas.com/community/forums/media-reached#comment-6568701

As per this post ...might be u will have to upgrade as you wont get this eeb most likely..

If this server is either 6.5.6 or 7.0.1, and, is NOT Solaris then it could be the 'Physical-end-of-tape' bug.

If so, the correct EEB is 2182228.  There is a Technote for this, http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH139306

but it is listing an earlier EEB.  EEB 2182228 is the correct one to use.

The issue has been seen on Windows and LInux for sure, Solaris doesn't seem to care, and although has an issue it should recover and position the tape by reading through from the beginning.

If you have some other version of NBU than listed - or the issue is on Solaris, then the most likely casue is a Tape drive hardware issue, or a problem with the media.  For reference, the cause of the fault is nothin to do with tape drives, it is a problem with EMM, casuing NBU to request the tape to be positioned to an incorrect / invalid position.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You should never ever get physical end of tape - the drive should prevent that happening (there is a 'logical' end of tape marker that signifies the tape is full).

If it's not the bug that was mentioned in the link above, then I suspect you have a firmware / driver or hardware issue with the drive.

issmag
Level 5

hello,

thanks for your replies, i rerun the duplication, and it took another tape, and at this time it's passed, on the same Media server and same Drive !!

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Possibly a dodgy tape.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

It does sound like a bad tape.

I would reccomend looking for alerts on the tape library itself to get more information and also, if you have logging set up, take a look at the bptm log file as that may also guive more information / hex code about what happened