cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup unable to resolve hostname.....

kp-
Level 4

Netbackup 7.5.0.7

Windows Server 2008 R2 with SP1 x64

I'm only backing up VM's that are connected to my vCenter server which Netbackup has complete access too.

Full error found in Reports-->Problems

"netbackup unable to resolve hostname <host>, no hostname alias added to pem name manager."

Started seeing this about two weeks ago.. Not sure if  7.5.0.7 is the cause because I dont remember seeing it with version  7.5.0.6.

Been searching the forums, and google and the manual.. Not seeing a solution to this issue. Been looking in logs, and looking at the nbpem log.. Not really seeing anything in there that makes any sense...

Can anyone help resolve? Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

Even though your backing up a VM. NetBackup is trying to see if it can resolve the hostname of your VM. In this case it can't, so it tries for the alias if you have set up one with the bpblient command (TECH189804).

Please check and see if your NetBackup environment can resolve the VM hostname you specified in the policy. Please also check for short name VS FQDN as well. If it doesn't resolve, modify DNS or hosts file.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at Primary VM identifier in Backup options on the VMware tab.

The default is VMhostname which requires network lookup.

Have a look at Table 5-3 on p. 54 of NetBackup 7.5.0.x for VMware Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5605 
See if one of the other options will work.

I must admit, this is a first for me:
"All or most of the VM's in my environment are dev, so some dont have an IP and are not routable."

You will also want to disable IP Resolution. 
See p.158 of the same manual for instructions on changing disableIPResolution in the Registry of the backup host.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hello,

Even though your backing up a VM. NetBackup is trying to see if it can resolve the hostname of your VM. In this case it can't, so it tries for the alias if you have set up one with the bpblient command (TECH189804).

Please check and see if your NetBackup environment can resolve the VM hostname you specified in the policy. Please also check for short name VS FQDN as well. If it doesn't resolve, modify DNS or hosts file.

kp-
Level 4

Hi SymTerry,

Thanks for the reply and the link.

How can I disable NB from trying to see if it can resolve the hostname of a VM? All or most of the VM's in my environment are dev, so some dont have an IP and are not routable. I'd like it to backup the VM and use the shortname rather than the FQDN. Or whichever is the best pratice...

• Can you please explain the shortname vs the FQDN? My master server is listed as shortname.. It seems that this is an issue here? For example, I open the admin console and at the very top my NB server is a shortname and it says (Master Server) next to it..
  • I've updated my hosts file to have the IP --> shortname and IP -- > FQDN.

Thank you very much for the help!

Marianne

Have a look at Primary VM identifier in Backup options on the VMware tab.

The default is VMhostname which requires network lookup.

Have a look at Table 5-3 on p. 54 of NetBackup 7.5.0.x for VMware Administrator's Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5605 
See if one of the other options will work.

I must admit, this is a first for me:
"All or most of the VM's in my environment are dev, so some dont have an IP and are not routable."

You will also want to disable IP Resolution. 
See p.158 of the same manual for instructions on changing disableIPResolution in the Registry of the backup host.

kp-
Level 4

Marianne,

Thank you very much! I should have been able to find those entries in the manual. wink

My Primary VM identifier is set to "VM display Name" for every policy.

I already have the disableIPResolution registry key. Curious if the value is left at 0, or should it be set as 1. I'm assuming to leave the value as "0" as the manual does not specify.

Thanks to both of you! I hope this resolves my issues. smiley

Will_Restore
Level 6

Set it to 1 per this post:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/recently-upgraded-75-and-now-vm-browsing-doesnt-work

Marianne

Think of it as a 'double negative'. cheeky

disableIPResolution = 0
means that disabling IP resolution is off. Meaning that IP resolution is ON.

disableIPResolution = 1
means that disabling IP resolution is on. Meaning that IP resolution is OFF.

kp-
Level 4

Read that post, set to one and rebooted.

Thanks!

kp-
Level 4

Still getting the same error for VM's even tho I have disableIPResolution = 1. I have rebooted since I made the change..

"netbackup unable to resolve hostname <host>, no hostname alias added to pem name manager."

The tech doc says you need to add the reg, but since I'm on a 64bit machine I added it to the wow6432node section. None of your tech docs I found says to add it in this path if your x64 OS. So do the docs need to be updated to reflect this info or I'm I putting it in the wrong spot?

• Also seeing the following error:

"Backup of client exited with status 6 (the backup failed to back up the requested files)"

• Then I also see random VM's just are not gettingbacked up with an error:

"unexpected terminiation of client... "

• I also see another error:

"Could not send server status message..."

I wanted to add that for all of my policies that I have selected automatic client selection thru query. The environment changes to much to specificy thru the browse option..

Why is NB having such a hard time backing up VM's and templates? It should not be this difficult.. *sigh*

I have NB 7.5.0.7, using basic disks.. 

Please help!

Will_Restore
Level 6

The technote linked in my post above says it is good for

• Windows Server 2008 R2
  • Enterprise (x64-64bit)

and the registry path is

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VERITAS\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP\disableIPResolution

as for the other issues, you should open a new thread, especially since this one was closed a few days ago

kp-
Level 4

Thanks for letting me know! Will create a new thread.