cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

netbackup win 2003 to win 2008 client restore

Arun_K
Level 6

Hi ALL,

I am performing a client server restore from win 2003 to win 2008.

I am using this link : 

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

1...Can i do a complete client  restore on a  win 2008 client from a win 2003/NT/XP  CLIENT backup(system state restore as well).any forward/backup rules for OS while restoring?

2...Hardware changes in this link means?

3....Restore to a different client means here?  (if my original client is win23 and i am restoring on win12.is it?).both OS needs to be same or can be different?

4...can NBU perform complete server restore to the SAME os client??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Correct.

See? The answers were all there in the TN that you have found.

Sometimes we must read more than once to find the answers we are looking for.

Keep on reading!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

1...Can i do a complete client  restore on a  win 2008 client from a win 2003/NT/XP  CLIENT backup(system state restore as well).any forward/backup rules for OS while restoring?

2...Hardware changes in this link means?

3....Restore to a different client means here?  (if my original client is win23 and i am restoring on win12.is it?).both OS needs to be same or can be different?

A file system restore of System State data using Netbackup or Backup Exec is supported only when we are restoring to the original machine (same hardware). This is more of a limitation imposed by Microsoft’s HAL

Above is quoted in http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH150156

4...can NBU perform complete server restore to the SAME os client??

Yes

Marianne

I see nobody has attempted an answer in almost 5 hours.
The reason for this is that everyone else probably have the same surprised look on their faces and the only word that comes out is 'huh?!'

If you read the TN again, this time slowly.... you will find answers to your own questions. 

1. Read the point that starts with:
   This procedure requires third party ......
What do see regarding version/suite ?
What do see next to WARNING:  ?

2.  Start at the top with this point:
The guide is intended for ......
Also search for every occurence of the word 'hardware'. What do you see?
Anything other than original machine is different hardware.

3. Read
 Solution:
1. Setup and Install Windows.
What do you see about computer name?
See
version/suite in point 1.

4. Already clear from answers above.

So, can we agree that all the answers are in the above TN?

The only posts from here on will be your own answers to your questions from this TN.

Arun_K
Level 6

I have read the TN.

bELOW IS NOT CLEAR.

Marianne

Read my answer again:

1. Read the point that starts with:
   This procedure requires third party ......
What do see regarding version/suite ?
What do see next to WARNING:  ?

Please go to the TN and find the sections that I mention above.

What do you see about OS version in the TN?

Arun_K
Level 6

WARNING: You cannot recover using a different Windows OS than was previously installed.  For example, Windows 2003 Small Business could not be used to recover a Windows 2003 Enterprise server.

1...so this means win 2003 cannot be used to restore on  win 2008 client ?ami correct?

This procedure requires third party Windows 2000 or 2003 Setup media from Microsoft in order to perform reinstallation of the operating system.  The same version/suite must be used.  For example, if the original version is Windows Enterprise Server 2003 with Service Pack 1, that same version must be installed for disaster recovery.  All related hardware drivers that are required to reinstall Windows and configure networking must be available and ready. Network functionality after windows is booted up is a requirement.  NOTE:  For a higher success rate, install the same drivers (and applications which install drivers) the system had when the backup was made.  Failure to do so can result in a post-restore reboot loop.

2....win 2008 client backup can be restored on 2008 client only not on 2003 or xp...correct?

Marianne

Correct.

See? The answers were all there in the TN that you have found.

Sometimes we must read more than once to find the answers we are looking for.

Keep on reading!