cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

network connection broken(40)

garrhe
Level 0

I have a NetBackup 7.0.1 question.
I have a group a Linux servers outside of my firewall along with a windows 2k3 server as a media server, my master windows 2k3 server is behind my firewall. I'm using my media server to backup the mentioned linux servers, but I'm getting the following error message : network connection broken(40).... after some data have been backup, it takes couple of hours into the job before I get the error message, we have checked with our network admin, for ports 1556, 13724 and 13782 he said that, those are opened, I have also checked the hosts files on my linux servers and the bp.conf making sure that the master server is listed first and the media server second. also to link the ips to the servers names
we have been relaying on hosts files in linux for name resolution as this new enviroment have been using the same name for servers(sus301new) as the current enviroment, we made sure that, in the client properties for NB reflect the new name until we go live so we will remove the word new from the servername. any idea why is failing?

2 REPLIES 2

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

The firewall is probably fencing the connection after few mins of intactivity is very common, try to lower the tcp_keep_alive settings to something smaller of what the firewall haves so the clients and medias keep their tcp chat always active and the firewall will not fence the communication.

The values I have are here, but better check your firewall "keep alive" settings because it can be the values are even smaller.

# Reduce TCP FIN Timeout to 30 secs
sysctl net.ipv4.tcp_fin_timeout

# Disable tcp_sack (selective acknowledgment)
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_sack=0
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_dsack=0

# Configure keepalive and time wait settings.
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_intvl=15
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_probes=5
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_keepalive_time=1800
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_tw_recycle
sysctl -w net.ipv4.tcp_tw_reuse

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Taqadus_Rehman
Level 6

Hi,

Does backup start and moves some data to tape/disk? Or does backup just start and then dies without moving any data? 

I would start pinging and tracing from backup servers to clients and vice versa. If that works fine, then I would check out that connection to right ports are working:

bptestbpcd -client backup_client -debug

I think problem lies on network.

Regards