cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new NBU 8.1.2 installation

mad_about_you
Level 4

we're planning on provisioning new hardware for 8.1.2 version. i have the minimum requirements.

i have this doubt in putting NBU master and SQL Server together in same hardware because i've seen SQL Server use up 90% of a server's memory for one reason or another.

Should I install SQL Server together with the master server or use another sqlserver server?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you’re thinking NetBAckup needs SQL... it doesn’t. If for some other reason you wanted to install NetBackup with another App, dont.

View solution in original post

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Riaan is spot on ... There is no need to install SQL, NBU has it's own database, but it's all installed as part of the NBU installation.

The master server shoud not be running any other apps apart from NetBackup, not even Opscenter (Opscenter will actually clash with NBU at 8.1.2 anyway due to port useage).

The backup server (whatever software it runs) is one of the ost important servers, as it protects all the others - I've never understood why people want to run addtional software on it - I think I've seen it all over the years and it doesn't usually end well.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
If you’re thinking NetBAckup needs SQL... it doesn’t. If for some other reason you wanted to install NetBackup with another App, dont.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Riaan is spot on ... There is no need to install SQL, NBU has it's own database, but it's all installed as part of the NBU installation.

The master server shoud not be running any other apps apart from NetBackup, not even Opscenter (Opscenter will actually clash with NBU at 8.1.2 anyway due to port useage).

The backup server (whatever software it runs) is one of the ost important servers, as it protects all the others - I've never understood why people want to run addtional software on it - I think I've seen it all over the years and it doesn't usually end well.

mad_about_you
Level 4

I must've read it wrong

thanks for the feedback!