cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new esxiis not viewable when browsing from Netbackup console

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

recently , i faced problem to get the new esx server backup via the flashbackup -windows policy .

Because im unable to browse the new esx host from the client selection list.

I have checked that the C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\online_util\fi_cntl vc.host.xml didnt show the new esx host name.

But from the GUI , im unable to view it .

I have also cleared the all files on the fi_cntl and restart the netbackup service on the vmware backup host.

But still the same .

Is there any method to force a update .

bpclntcmd -clearhostcache?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Add a VM, be it power on or not, to this ESX host. Remove all the xml files and browse again. The ESX will appear.

Not sure this is a bug or intentionally masking from Netbackup 7.1. As per our observation, it will only show ESX with vm... Thx

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure I have a clear understanding of the issue.

Have you added the ESX host credentials to Media and Device Management -> Credentials -> Virtual Machine Servers?

Or have you added the Virtual Center managing these ESX servers?

If so, a bpvmutil log from the VMware Backup Host would be helpful in identifying the problem.

Also verify you don't have an excludeVMservers registry on the VMware Backup Host:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\BACKUP

If your ESX host are 4.0.x or lower, then verify you are not running into this issue?
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH163473

Bonga_Nozibele
Level 3

This is not clear but none the less, please verify that credentials used by the proxy server to access Virtual Center server is valid. You will not be able to view/browse any of the esx servers from the nbu proxy if the credentials are invalid.

demo4119
Level 6

Thanks for advise.

I have successfuly configured the credential for the virtual center . But when i added a new esx4.X host to the Virtual center .

I'm unable to browse the NEW ESX host from the client browsing windows .

Any way i can force and do a refresh for the GUI to saw the correct list of ESX hosts?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Logon to your virtual center through vsphere as the user specified in the Credentials in NetBackup.

What this user has permissions to 'see' in the vsphere client will be mirrored within NetBackup and its browsing capabilities in the Client Selection > Browse Virtual Machines dialog.

Check permissions within the vsphere environment as an Administrator or get a VM Administrator person to check.

Compare the permissions on the ESX hosts you can see with those you cannot.

demo4119
Level 6

I have checked that. permission is propograte down from VC to esx hosts.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When you browse for machines in the client list it caches the information

Next time you try it just shows you the cached list, not what is actually there.

Make sure you click the "Refesh Button" in the client list for it to update your list correctly so that you can view everything

Hope this helps

demo4119
Level 6

Done that still unable to view the new added esx host. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Can I confirm that you have not added the new ESX Server to the Credentials - Virtual Machine Servers section of the console?

Other than that i can only think that this new ESX Server is not correctly under the control of the vCenter

Haven't see anyone ask you what version and patch level of NetBackup you are on - can you teel us that please

Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to Marks information.

1. What is the version of vcenter server?

2. What version of ESX installed on the problem host.

3. What version ESX is installed on working hosts within NetBackup that you can browse virtual machines.

Note:

If you are on vsphere 5, NetBackup 7.1 only supports VMFS 3 storage and VM hardware version 7

NetBackup 7.5 due out soooon, is to fully support vsphere 5 new features: VMFS 5 storage and VM hardware version 8

Again to mirror Marks thoughts, logon to vcenter server via the vsphere client as the user credentials in NetBackup.

4. Can you confirm you can see the problem host in Host and Clusters view in the vsphere client?

If you cant access the vsphere client use the web browser to view managed objects

How to use the VMware MOB to identify what network information is returned by VMware http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH164962

DoubleEM
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Add a VM, be it power on or not, to this ESX host. Remove all the xml files and browse again. The ESX will appear.

Not sure this is a bug or intentionally masking from Netbackup 7.1. As per our observation, it will only show ESX with vm... Thx