cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

not able to kill bpbkar on netbackup client side

Sid_help
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I am using netbackup trying to take client backup which remains stuck without writing any data for more than 45 min

Also i am unable to kill "bpbkar.

I checked VSS on client machine which gives me   State: [5] Waiting for completion.

Whats the solution over this?? the technote will be preferred.

my NBU version is 7.1.

need solution

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

When a process can't be canceled it usually because it hangs on a wait for I/IO completion.

There is not much you can do from the Netbackup side.

When the I/O subsystem respond again everything should resolve by itself. Also check for memory usage, if system is swapping extremely it sometimes look like it non-responding.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

try to kill it from the Task Manager 

even if task Manager is not ablt to kill the process the only way to reach the Windows admin and see if they have any thing to kill those

but i would perfer to reboot it..

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

When a process can't be canceled it usually because it hangs on a wait for I/IO completion.

There is not much you can do from the Netbackup side.

When the I/O subsystem respond again everything should resolve by itself. Also check for memory usage, if system is swapping extremely it sometimes look like it non-responding.

pri3006
Level 4
Certified

Do check whether you have excluded the netbackup\bin directory from Antivirus scanning. Does it get stuck when you are backing up Shadow copy components? What is the result if you backup a flat file from one of your drives? A reboot, as Nagalla mentioned above, is worth a try though if you are unable to kill bpbkar.

Sid_help
Level 4
Partner Accredited

hii Nagalla

Tried to kill from Task manager but it dosent kill

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Closest I can get for your 'preferred' TechNote:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH35484

--- there are other methods to 'kill' the process within this TN.

You could try stopping the NB client service on the client but I suppose that there is the distinct possibility that it could also hang.

You mention VSS - is there a bpfis process still running on the client too?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You did not mention the Windows version on the client?

If W2003, check that latest VSS hotfix is installed.

Please also ensure that 7.1.0.4 patch is installed on client - it contains lots of fixes for snapshot issues as well as updated bpbkar binaries.