cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

optimized deduplication or optimized duplication

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

how to leverage optimized deduplication or optimized duplication across multiple media servers within sites.

3 REPLIES 3

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

The question is a little vague but I think I know what you are looking for ....

Use Storage Lifecycle Policies is the easiest way of doing things.

Backup goes to De-Dupe (Use client side for minimum bandwidth usage), duplication then goes to second de-dupe pool, next duplication goes to tape (if you want a tape copy)

NetBackup handles the optimisation for you when duplicating between de-dupe pools.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

hey mark

thanx for this. but this sounds bit similar to what AIR offers

my goal was to achieve dedupe within media servers

as few of data would be at remote endpoints and same or least would be at servers. so rather than keeping two copies of data i need to save only 1.

duplication between two media server will ultimately result in having dedupe as highly available which would increase storage. (opposite to dedupe).... i know it's bit odd mechanism i'm thinking off here.

above requirement is due to dedupe limitation on per media server.

as far i know dedupe is limited to 1 per media server.. is it possible to keep two different dedupe storage to one media server

J_Huggins
Level 6
Partner

Hi V4,

Number 1 ruling when it comes on deduplication. 1 dedupe storage per media sever. If you want multiple dedupe storage, you need to build another media server. Or you need to have OST. OST and dedupe storage (MSDP) are allowed on the same media server.

AIR or Automatic Image Replication is for Different NetBackup Domain.