cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

oracle vm data protection and recovery steps

rookie11
   VIP   

hi All,

i have like 20 oracle hosted virtual machines of different size ranging from 200GB to 2000GB. Now , we are protecting them in this way - vmware based policy (data disk excluded) + oracle based RMAN scripts. I need to understand recovery steps if  1) oracle vm is crashed 2) oracle vm is corrupt and we get to know after 3 days.

1) oracle vm is crashed -- 

backup guy will restore the virtual machine in power down state, vmware guys will change ip address and bring it up and hand it over to unix guys ,, next steps ???

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1) oracle vm is crashed

Restore the VM and power it on. Don't see why the IP needs to be changed if the original is crashed, but yes, its feasible.

Start Oracle if the binaries are ok.

Restore the database from your scripts backup/oracle agent backup

2) oracle vm is corrupt and we get to know after 3 days

If the VM is corrupt and you only figure this out 3 days later, chances are the corruption is not very big, or the database would have stopped working, or more indicatively, the application using it would have stopped working.

So restore the files that are corrupt, or refer to point 1 and restore the vm.

rookie11
   VIP   

thanks Riaan 1) oracle vm is crashed Restore the VM and power it on. Don't see why the IP needs to be changed if the original is crashed, but yes, its feasible.  -- agree. VM is only the OS as data disk were excluded. Hence cannot start oracle. 

storage guys will provision a LUN , VM guys wil attach the LUN to vm, oracle installation by unix guy then last oracle guy will run rman restore scripts and rebuild\recover oracle DB. is this right sequence ?

plz feel free to add steps in detail

Start Oracle if the binaries are ok. --- oracle  Restore the database from your scripts backup/oracle agent backup

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello

Apologies, I didn't see the reply.

storage guys will provision a LUN , VM guys wil attach the LUN to vm, oracle installation by unix guy then last oracle guy will run rman restore scripts and rebuild\recover oracle DB. is this right sequence?

Yeah that's right. You might be able to improve the process if the oracle binaries are on a disk that also gets backed, and only the data files are on the excluded disks. That way you don't need to reinstall Oracle.

X2
   VIP   

Is there a reason that you are exlcuding the non-OS disks? While it may feel safe to exclude the data disks, it does increase the RTO as lots of manual steps need to be carried out after VM recovery e.g. storage team, unix team, oracle team.

If you have the storage to backup the entire VM including data disks, a restore would be: 1) backup admins restores VM ; 2) Oracle admins do their recovery to whatever point in time the logs are available using RMAN scripts.

My objective is to reduce the number of steps during DR. This reduces the chance to mess up the DR procedure itself.

rookie11
   VIP   

@ X2 -

oracle vm size is 1 TB, backup done and in turn saved on NBU appliance disks (backup size 700 GB). When I restore whole vm , oracle data is inconsistent. it is wastage of disk space.

oracle vm size is 1 TB, backup done (data disk excluded) and in turn saved on NBU appliance disks (70 GB). When I restore whole vm - only OS part recovered. It save disk space on NBU appliances as we have more than 15% data growth plus monthly backup retention of 15 months.  

would like to know what other backup guys are doing related to oracle DR