cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

patching from 7.1 to 7.5 and migrating from phisical to VM

maciejtom
Level 2

Hi,

Please suggest me how can I patch the NetBackup 7.1 to 7.5 and virtualize it to a virtual machine with adding two phisical media server

I did it like this:

I created new server (with the same name and IP as old master server)

restore catalog backup from old master server

upgrade from 7.1 to 7.5

and added a new media server 7.5

but now I can do new backups and restory but I can not restore the old backups from the tape
netbackup shows me this message in activity monitor

pending action is associated with the resource request. user intervention may be required

I think there is a problem with connection between master server media server and tape liblary

but i delete old one and run wizzard, and add servers configuration in Master server properties -> general server -> media host override

could You plese suggest me step by step what should I do to correst upgrade and migrat netbackup?

best regards,

Maciek

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check the media density of the configured storage unit - if you have define the tape drive for example DLT but the physical tapes are HCART Netbackup will not mount the tape because they are not the same density.

Such a configuration glitch will result in the error you are seeing.

Did you do a full inventory of the robot before starting the restore ?

maciejtom
Level 2

It's look like this

I have two tape liblary and it's connected by NDMP

yes I done full inventory

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

And when you inventory the media they are listed as type ??? (HCART, HCART2, HCART3 or ???)

maciejtom
Level 2

Now it's HCART and in old Master Server is the same HCART

I still have a working master server that is currently connected to the production

I can update and migration it one more time because he has current and old backups

step by step:

7.5.0.1 update 7.1 - I know how to do it
add a media server - the same
but the migration from physical machine to a virtual master server and the connection of libraries is a problemn for me

Will_Restore
Level 6

tape library supported only on physical server not VM

maciejtom
Level 2

yes I kow that and I have tape library with is connected to phisical media server and master server is virtual

when I run wizard to install tape library master server found this to tape library connected to media server

and I can run backup to tape and restor

byt I can not restor old backups from tapes