cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

policies to support tape

Marduk
Level 4

I can take several policies created. that are supported on a single tape. given that the information is very minimal?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Not sure if I fully understand...

Do you want more than one policy to write to single tape?

If so, check all of the following:

Multiplexing is enabled in Storage Unit config
Multiplexing is enabled in policy schedule
All policies use same Storage Unit and Volume Pool
All schedules have same retention level.

So, if mpx in STU is 4, and if mpx in all policies schedules are 4, same STU, same pool, then 4 policies can write to same tape simultaneously.

If you have a different requirement, please give more info?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6

Not sure if I fully understand...

Do you want more than one policy to write to single tape?

If so, check all of the following:

Multiplexing is enabled in Storage Unit config
Multiplexing is enabled in policy schedule
All policies use same Storage Unit and Volume Pool
All schedules have same retention level.

So, if mpx in STU is 4, and if mpx in all policies schedules are 4, same STU, same pool, then 4 policies can write to same tape simultaneously.

If you have a different requirement, please give more info?

Marduk
Level 4

can explain more detailed as indicating verify each point?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I understood the question the same as Marianne in that I believe you want more than one policy to write to the same tape due to the fact that the amount of data being backed up is very small.

Basically, all things being equal, that is not a problem.

As Marianne has already stated:

- ensure you have multiplexing enabled in: storage unit/policy - this allows more than one job to write to a drive (& hence tape) at the same time (check your Storage Unit & Policy/Schedule configuration for multiplexing -not to be confused with multiple data streams)

- ensure your policies backup to the same Storage Unit / Volume Pool - if not they obviously won't write to the same tape!! (check your Policy/Schedule configuration for storage unit/volume pool & overrides of same)

- ensure the schedules for these backups have the same retention period - NetBackup does not mix retention periods on tape by default. (check your Policy/Schedule configuration for applied retention periods).

Marianne
Level 6

Please tell me which point is unclear?

Configuration of Storage Units, Policies and schedules are all explained in detail in NBU Admin Guide I.

Details about effect of Multiplexing can be seen in this topic in chapter 15 of Admin Guide I: About multiplexing. There are pictures along with explanation.