Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem UNRESTRICED_SHARING_GROUP

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

Hi ALL

We have an issue here.. when trying to list the content of a tape media owner UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP with the command

bpimmedia -U -mediaid 000001

I get the following result

no entity was found

If I run the same command on a tape with the owner of a media server the command i succesfull and I the content of the tape is shown.

Suggestions?? 

Kind regards 

Andreas

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Hi Andreas.

I am not sure I have understood you're question correct, anyway here we go :)

Even tapes within the UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP has a owner.

You can do a : nbemmcmd-listmedia -mediaid {mediaid}

Look for the field "Last Write Host:" This is the owner of the tape within the "UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP".

Regards

Nicolai

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for the reply Nicolai

what I was trying to explain was that I am unable to get any image information from the database running the bpimmedia -U mediaid <media ID> command on any media that has the media owner UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP.  

We are using this parameter to get better media utilization. 

//andreas 

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

have you tried to run this report from the GUI ?

marekk

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

Hi Marek

Yes I tried running the report from the GUI but I got the same result "no entity was found". 

//andreas

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner

I had similiar issue on 6.5.1. I've tried to expire tape (bpexdpate -m xxx -d 0 -force) from server sharing group and I had error message that it should be done from server which belongs to the group, I tried do this on all servers but solution was to change media owner to one of servers (not group) and then bpexdpate...

Have you tried to list images in catalog database ?

marekk

Message Edited by Marek Kedzierski on 01-24-2009 02:58 AM

Andreas_Holmstr
Level 4
Partner

We are running 6.5.1 and we have the issue expiring media that are not owned by the UNRESTRICTED_SHARING_GROUP. The workaround is to change owner to the master server and then expire th etape with the command

bpmedia -movedb -ev <media id> -oldserver <owner> -newmedia <masterserver>

We also have the sam issue trying to list images from the catalog database.

We have tried to upgrade to 6.5.2 but we had to rollback due to several problems. We will upgrade to 6.5.3 on Monday hopefully that might solve the problem.

//andreas

F_J
Level 4

There is an issue with automatic media expiration for tapes in a sharing group (or unrestrictred sharing):

http://support.veritas.com/docs/304163