cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem getting data back from catalog

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hi ,

I lost my catalog backup for 1month.I am having LTO2 tapes lieing in robot they are having data of that 1month.Is there any way that i can get that catlog using these tape..??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rishi_rich
Level 5
I think i got the problem.Now import is going on hope i will get my whole data

cheers

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
By import, NetBackup read contents of media and recontruct catalogs for images on these media.
For detail, see Administrator's Guide page 336.

* NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for UNIX and Linux
http://support.veritas.com/docs/290201

Important: imported media cannot be used for writing data until all the images on it become expired.

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You can import the tapes from the admin GUI.

there are two phases of tape import

First phase builds the sceleton metadata.
Second phase allows you to select which image to actually complete the import process.

You can do this by two ways -

1. You can do this from admin GUI.
2. You can do this from CLI as mentioned below.

Phase1
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -create_db_info -id D0003 -server megatron -L /tmp/bpimport.phase1 &

Generate image list:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -PM -s 01/01/71 00:00:00 -e 09/20/01 23:59:59 -id D0003 | awk '{print $5}' > /tmp/import_list

Phase2
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -Bidfile /tmp/import_list -L /tmp/bpimport.phase2 &

Reference -
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240402.htm

Note - You can import the media if and only if that is not used again (as expired media is overritable)

rishi_rich
Level 5
Thank you Yasuhisa,

I want to explain it more.I expired 25 tapes to archive new data on that 25 tapes.When archive was complite my harddisk got crashed after importing data from catalog i was able to get whole data except 1month catalog.Now the 25 tapes are showing data which i all reday expired,now my question is is it possible for me to get new data which i archived on that tapes..??

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
 after expire all old images(which have been overwritten) by bpexpdate -m media_id -d 0 -force, then perform import.
You can get catalogs of data those really recorded on media.

Make sure you do phase I for 25 tapes, then do phase II.
Otherwise, you get some error like "premature end of file" or so on, on phase II.

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hi,

I have run ./bpimport -PM -s 01/01/2006 00:00:00 -e 3/5/2009 23:59:59 -id 0321L2 after expiring 0321L2 tape and running usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -create_db_info -id 0321L2 -server mumbck02 -L  after running this command i am getting error
INF - Found no images matching the selection criteria that were ready for phase 2 import

What i am doing wrong..????

rishi_rich
Level 5
I think i got the problem.Now import is going on hope i will get my whole data

cheers

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hi,

After running ./bpimport -Bidfile /tmp/import_list ,by running inventory it should show data which i lost is it ??Or i have to run some more commnad to recover data..???

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
After this you will be able to see the catalog images in BAR Window, just go there and select the  files u want to restore and start restoring.

I pray god to get your data as soon  :)

rishi_rich
Level 5
Hi Karthikeyan,

Could please elaborate this..??You mean to say after i import 25 tapes i need to run inventory ,then i have to go to  backup and restore option is it..??