cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem to restore a backup after harddrive replacement

backup_Newbie1
Level 2

Hello all,

we use Netbackup in our company and last month my harddrive crashed and I got a new harddrive in my laptop. With the new harddrive I tried to restor my backup but unfortunately it was empty.

Has somebody experience with restoring a backup after harddrive replacements? It is possible that the first backup with the new harddrive was emty and overwrite the old existing backup?

Is Netbackup making different backups for different versions of a document? And how I can see this different versions?

best regards Roller02

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

As a miniumum, you need to

• ensure the client name you want to restore from is exactly as it appears in the original backup policy
  • ensure the timeframe you select to restore from includes successful, non-expired backups
  • ensure the policy type selected for restore matches that of the backup policy

Maurice has covered this already but backups will not be 'overwritten' but can expire if the retention period has elapsed.

As far as different versions of the file, if the timeframe you've selected encompasses more than one backup of a file (not necessarily different versions as this would depend upon the type of backup being interrogated) then there is a button within the BAR GUI that can be selected to display all backups of said file(s) - by default NB just displays the most current backup (this button is either on the left hand side if using the Windows BAR GUI or towards the right in the Java version)

If you need it:

BAR Getting Started Guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5146

& the rest: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5138&key=15143

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Maurice_Byrd
Level 4

You'll want to review your policy configuration.  It sounds like you retention isn't set long enough. Each backup image gets a unique name.  So I don't think your older backup was overwritten by the recent one.  Using the Catalog search (Admin Console), you can search for all the unexpired images of your computer.  The BAR gui should show the backup dates that are available as well.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

As a miniumum, you need to

• ensure the client name you want to restore from is exactly as it appears in the original backup policy
  • ensure the timeframe you select to restore from includes successful, non-expired backups
  • ensure the policy type selected for restore matches that of the backup policy

Maurice has covered this already but backups will not be 'overwritten' but can expire if the retention period has elapsed.

As far as different versions of the file, if the timeframe you've selected encompasses more than one backup of a file (not necessarily different versions as this would depend upon the type of backup being interrogated) then there is a button within the BAR GUI that can be selected to display all backups of said file(s) - by default NB just displays the most current backup (this button is either on the left hand side if using the Windows BAR GUI or towards the right in the Java version)

If you need it:

BAR Getting Started Guide: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5146

& the rest: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=DOC5138&key=15143

backup_Newbie1
Level 2

Thank you for the very quick response.

Now I have enough to readsmiley I downloaded some pdf-guides and release notes. This should be good as a good night reading matter.

I asked my Admins to check the policies and the retention.

We (one of our admins and me) found in the .notify-folder a lot of older files and he will send this files to the experts.

Curious is that the backup-folder are all new. I use my laptop since 2 years and the backup sould be created also in 2011 but it is from June 2013.

regards

roller

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check the backup policy - what is the exact hostname in Clients tab? 
Check the Schedules tab in the policy - how often is client getting backed up? What is retention level in each schedule?
Check the Attributes tab - is the policy Active? 
Check the Backup Selection tab - what exactly is getting backed up?

Check Reports :
Backup Status report - select Client name (as per the Policy) and date as far back as possible (default is to keep info for 28 days)
Client Backup report  for this Client - here you can go back for years. All valid, unexpired backups will be listed.