cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with update from NB51 to NB6531

Normand_Frenett
Level 3

Hi,

I have two NetBackup environment, one poduction and one DR. A month after upgrading at NB6.5.3.1 on both, the production stop making backup and restore. I tried to rollback from NB6.5.3.1 to NB6.5.3, same problem. I rollback to NB6.5 and backup and restore worked again. I upgrade to NB6.5.3 and it stop working. The DR environment keep going well. I finally find a way to get the problem in DR.

In the next DR exercise, I import the catalog from production to DR server and backup/restore stop working. I rollback to NB6.5 and it finally worked. After the DR I had to upgrade to NB6.5.3.1 to restore the DR catalog. After the restore backup/restore workrd fine. All clients are NB6.5.3.1 except for the server in production who have serveréclient at NB6.5.

Before upgrading to NB6.5.4 I ask if someone experience something alike?

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Can you give us more information about the error/issue. You say "the production stop making backup and restore", what do you mean by this? Are jobs not kicking off as per the schedule, or are the failing, what are the error codes, what is not working with the restores.

Please be specific.

R

Normand_Frenett
Level 3

for example,

The actual setup is NB6.5

The backup run as schedule  or manual without any problem for days.

I upgrade to NB6.5.3

run a manual backup, the job stay in wait...

finally the job time out with the message: No drives are available. With no status. Just before I upgrade, he drives (2) where available and manual backup worked fine.

As soon as I roolback to NB6.5, it all worked fine.

When I first upgrade from NB6.5 to NB6.5.3 it worked fine several days. The problem seems to occured while I experienced another problem with a tape drive.  After I replaced the faulted tape drive, I had to run NB6.5 if I want to pocess bachup or restore.

I had a case open with symantec to diagnose the drive problem but we could not go further about the problem attach to the version.  It is weird that the problem follow the catalog ehen I import it to another netbackup server.

In fact, I'm looking to someone who experience something similar to compare the symptoms

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Not seen this but just as a suggestion, and apologies if you have tried this.

After the upgrade when it stops working are there any other jobs running that could be using the drives (I suspect not).

Run this :

nbrbutil -dump

If nothing is running, do you have any output in the MDS allocation section at the bottom ?

If you do, try runing nbrbutil -resetall

Then re-run the job ...

Martin

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I would do a reconfiguration of your storage devices after you upgrade. There might be something in the EMM that's causing your device configuration to be invalid after the upgrade so by deleting it, and recreating it, you'll have a fresh 6.5.3 config.

i would also rather upgrade to 6.5.6 since its the latest version (and also perform a reconfiguration of the storage devices)

R

Normand_Frenett
Level 3

I did all you can imagine including what you said, except to upgrade to NB6.5.6. Upgrading was my next step. I have to do this in the DR site before applying the solution in production. Assuming that the upgrade will solve the problem although I never know what the real problem was...

I first try 6.5.4 and post the result here.

thanks all

Normand