cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

process flow of offhost backup via data mover

Abhishek_Tomar
Level 3

Hi All,

I have a query about the off host backup via data mover.

As per doc http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO50658 it says that client passes some information about how data is mapped and rest is being done by backup agent.  In this case media server is data mover

My question is what data is being sent by client and does bpbkar process should run on backup agent  and client both or it will still run only on  client.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found a process flow diagram with detailed description in Appendix A of NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.

In the case of offhost backup, the 'Client Disk' moves to the media server as well as processes associated with 'Client Disk'.

Troubleshooting Guide then refers us to Snapshot Client manual for more info.

Hope this helps....

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found a process flow diagram with detailed description in Appendix A of NetBackup Troubleshooting Guide.

In the case of offhost backup, the 'Client Disk' moves to the media server as well as processes associated with 'Client Disk'.

Troubleshooting Guide then refers us to Snapshot Client manual for more info.

Hope this helps....

Abhishek_Tomar
Level 3

Hi Marianne,

Thanx for the input.

I checked the troubleshootig guide . As you mentioned that disk moves to media server , it means that disk must be shared between client and media server .

I know that this setup is requird for alternate client method where disk is moved from one client to another .

For offhost backup when I checked the logs bpfis and bpbkar , they are generating on client itself.

So in this case is there any load will reduced on client as far as NBU processing is concerned.

Abhishek_Tomar
Level 3

Hi , I have cofirmed that disk should be accessible between client and media server for this offhost backup.

if it is not there offhost will not work properly.

anandsinha2007
Level 2

How does work SLP and MSDP?

Can you share me details.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Please consult our documentation.

NetBackup 7.5 release notes, administration, installation, configuration, getting started, and solutions guides are available for viewing and downloading.
 http://symantec.com/docs/DOC5138