cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

provide technical support to upgrade Symantec 7.1 32 bit to Symantec 7.6 64 bit Our new Windows 2008 64bit enterprises server

Tauqeer
Level 3

Hi,

Currently using symantec netbackup 7.1 x86( 32 bit) on windows 2003 32 bit enterprises server.need to be upgrade to symantec 7.6 64 bit on windows 2008 64 enterprises server.

can any one help on this step by step procedure.

Regards

Tauqeer Alam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

You are best served by doing the migration to new hardware, such that you can verify all of the actions before doing the cut over.

That would be to do option 2 above to either new hardware or to at least new disks on the existing hardware.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

OK, a complex dual upgrade situation. Understand that I am in NBU support but not with professional services. I have not done an upgrade of which you desire. But, based on my skills and background knowledge, I offer this advice.

OPTION 1: My initial response is - call Symantec Professional Services and have them do the work. This is not for the faint of heart and is a complex process.

OPTION 2: Assuming you want to try this on your own:

Step 1: Take a very good, validated backup of the catalog. You can also make a manual copy of same said files (two copies are always better than 1) by: 

(a) Stopping all NBU services (bpdown).
(b) Run command "nbdb_backup [-dbn database_name ] [-online | -offline ] destination_directory"
    By default, leaving the '-dbn' option off will backup both the NBDB and BMRDB databases. The 'destination_directory' is yours to choose. See the Commands Reference for more detail.

Now for the fun stuff.

1. The host name and IP address of the 'new' Master Server MUST remain the same. 
2. I will assume that the new NBU Master will be hosted on new hardware. The server does not need to be on the network for this (I would recommend it not be).As such install the Windows OS to the working version (2008 X64).
3. Ensure that the new server has the same network name resolution environment (hosts files/DNS server).
4. Install NBU at the exact same version and patch release as the original, using the 64 bit binaries.
5. Configure the devices and storage units.to match the original server.
6. Recover the catalog information.  You have two options here.
   (a) With services down, use the command "nbdb_restore -recover source_directory"
       The source_directory will have ALL of the files that were copied to the destination_directory by the "nbdb_backup" command.
   (b) From a properly configured server, do a standard catalog recovery operation. 
7. Start NBU services and verify that life is good for the new 64 bit OS environment with the initial NBU release.

Assuming that all is well with this, do a normal standard 7.1 to 7.6 upgrade. If not, you still have original server available.

Anyway, if I were doing it, this is how I would go about doing it. This is not necessarily the only way. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See this TN: 

Using catalog backup and recovery to transfer NetBackup catalogs between Windows master servers as part of a hardware refresh
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77447

Tauqeer
Level 3

Thanks to all !!!!

All of in community can you please confirm if i am taking below step to upgrade 7.1 to 7.6

First method to upgrade.

1. Take a full catalog backup on windows 2003 (32-bit) - 7.1.0.4.

2. Format your machine and install windows 2003 (64-bit).

3. Install Netbackup 7.1.0.4 on this 64 bit windows 2003 machine, keeping the hostname, and the netbackup install path the same.

4. Do a Full catalog recovery.

5. Upgrade Netbackup from 7.1.0.4 to 7.6.0.1 - on windows 2003 R2 - 64bit.

6. Take a Full catalog backup again.

7. Install windows 20008 keeping the hostname, Netbackup install path the same.

8 Install Netbackup 7.6.0.1 on the windows 2008 machine and then run another

9. Do Full catalog recovery.

Or second method to upgrade.

1. Take a full catalog backup on windows 2003 (32-bit) - 7.1.0.4.
2. Format your machine and install windows 2008 (64-bit).
3. Install Netbackup 7.1.0.4 on this 64 bit windows 2008 machine, keeping the hostname, and the netbackup install path the same.
4. Do a Full catalog recovery.
5. Upgrade Netbackup from 7.1.0.4 to 7.6.0.1 - on windows 2008 - 64bit.
6. Take a Full catalog backup again.

Suggesation required can any one provide catalog backup & recovery step by step procedure.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The assumption is that a 64-bit installation will require new 64-bit hardware. So, a new server with more cpu and memory than the old 32-bit server. 
NBU 7.6 needs minimum of 8GB memory.

So, I would go with your second method to migrate to new hardware.

About your request for step-by-step catalog backup and recovery steps - are you not already doing hot catalog backups on a daily basis? You should!  This is your only hope to recover if your master server craches!

Catalog recovery is covered in the Disaster Recovery chapter of the Troubleshooting Guide.

Also see this TN:

Recovering the entire NetBackup catalog using bprecover -wizard : 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO72776

Tauqeer
Level 3

Thanks for update

2nd method windows 64 bit with mim 8gb ram & 7.6 64 bit

Yes already doing hot catalog backups on a daily basis. just for information to recover catalog steps.

Tauqeer
Level 3

Thanks to all giving up gradation suggestion

I will do the activity on next week & revert back with update.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Testing the NetBackup Catalog restore bit these days can be easily done in a VM. This is a good preflight check before doing it on physical hardware. Gives you good confidence.

Edit: Easily if you have put the last catalog to disk to get at the files in a VM.

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

You are best served by doing the migration to new hardware, such that you can verify all of the actions before doing the cut over.

That would be to do option 2 above to either new hardware or to at least new disks on the existing hardware.

Tauqeer
Level 3

Dear All,

Upgradation done Thanks to all