cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

purpose of pre_NB_CLT.tar file

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi, my master server is NBU 7.1 on windows 2008 r2. I have some AIX clients (NBU 7.1 client, AIX 6.1). I found there is a file named as pre_NB_CLT_7.1.xxx.tar in the /usr/openv directory. May I know purpose of this file? Can we delete it? We do not have enough space in /usr directory now and want to delete some files to save space. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I would imagine that this tar file was created during the upgrade process & would only be required if you needed to roll-back your client version from 7.1.0.2 to 7.1. Also, as it is a tar file I cannot envisage it being used for any other reason than this.

You could always copy it out to another location that has space (or NFS mount, which is what we've done with all our old *pack* information on our master server).

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

It looks like a save of client binaries that's carried out during an upgrade which would allow for a reversion back to a pre-upgrade state - but I've only ever encountered similar on our master.

Where exactly is it? Directly under /usr/openv or within a sub-directory? Anything else there also?

liuyang
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Andy, we recently upgraded the NBU client in the server from NBU 7.1 to 7.1.0.2. This file is under /usr/openv.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I would imagine that this tar file was created during the upgrade process & would only be required if you needed to roll-back your client version from 7.1.0.2 to 7.1. Also, as it is a tar file I cannot envisage it being used for any other reason than this.

You could always copy it out to another location that has space (or NFS mount, which is what we've done with all our old *pack* information on our master server).

watsons
Level 6

NB_CLT_* is always required when you patch from a base product version on Netbackup client.

Since you have 7.1.0.2, obviouslly this file will be there. As Andy pointed out, you can move it somewhere else if you expect to re-use it on other Netbackup client patch - since the download normally takes a long time.

It is unlikely you're going to rollback to previous version, and if there is going to be a next release, you will need to download a new NB_CLT_* again.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

prefixed with *pre-* which is what leads me to believe it's actually a backup of the binaries before the upgrade is applied (?) as opposed to the NB_CLT_* itself, which, as you rightly say, is the format of the downloaded client "patch".

watsons
Level 6

yeah. Andy, i believe that's the temporary file created during the upgrade, but normally got removed once it's completed.