cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

query related to robot controlled drive

Pinku
Level 5

Hi everyone,

I have a query related to robot controlled drive. I have IBM 3310 tape library. In this library, one of the drive will control the robot. 

Now, when I zoned this robot controlled drive to master server and one of the media server. In netbackup I try to configure robot on master and drive on media server. I am not using SSO.

1) Will I be able to  configure drive on media server?

2) Will I be able to backup using media server?

If someone has tested this, please share your experience.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When the robotic path is via one of the drives then you will find that all servers that have access to the drive and the robot.

It is for you to choose which will be the robot control host.

You cannot have a robot control host which does not have a tape drive configured as the device manager service would not run.

So you need them all to see the drive and robot (in which case you need the SSO / capacity license ) or you need just the media server to see it

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Don't do it without SSO - you'll corrupt your backups to tape.

If you do not have SSO - then do not share the the drive.

How many tape drives in the library?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When the robotic path is via one of the drives then you will find that all servers that have access to the drive and the robot.

It is for you to choose which will be the robot control host.

You cannot have a robot control host which does not have a tape drive configured as the device manager service would not run.

So you need them all to see the drive and robot (in which case you need the SSO / capacity license ) or you need just the media server to see it

Hope that helps

Pinku
Level 5

sorry for delayed response.

I have SSO, this was just an idea in my mind...I want to keep master free from any backups except the catalog which I will take on disk on master server....

The tape drive count is 18.

This is new to me from last comment that "ltid won't run ,if the host doesn't have tape drive"? I am not sure, so asking......if that is the case, then my doubt is cleared...just confirm me once...

I blv ltid will run if master server has only robot configured.

thanks again everyone.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Why not just write the catalog backup via a media server that does have access to tape drive?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

...I want to keep master free from any backups except the catalog which I will take on disk on master server....

I like the idea of the master doing catalog backup - in DR situaton, it saves time not to prepare the media server as well as the master.
My disk choice would be BasicDisk - nothing else.
Advanced, OST, Dedupe disk requires quite a bit of additional steps before catalog recovery can start.

I like to have at least one tape drive used by the master for local catalog backup.
If you need to recover catalog at a remote site, this would ensure easiest catalog recovery.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Hopefully you will take a catalog backup on tape as well .... If the catalog is on masters disk, and the disk fails etc ... you have lost the server and it's backup ...

Pinku
Level 5

thanks Marianne & Martin...

I have kept 1 TB basic disk for catalog on master server....and staging it using DSSU to tape...so that is okay....

but my original concern was with drives and robot.....i have tested that in my environment, it didn't work. Marking mark_solution's post as solution.

Thanks again everyone!!