cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about how to get data about tape library on media (NetBackup)

Maxim_k
Level 3

I found this request "SELECT DiskPerTapeReadBytesPerSec, DiskPerTapeWriteBytesPerSec, Frequency_PerfTime, Name, Timestamp_PerfTime FROM Win32_PerfRawData_TapePerf_NetBackupDiskPerTape" on one of the old forums, but as far as I understand it does not work at this time.

Having looked through all the documentation I did not find at the remembrance of this
I would like to understand how you get data about tape lib for example for veritas NetBacup OpsCenter.
Whether is possible to get this information from command line? 

Thanks =)

12 REPLIES 12

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You'll not find any command line to give you this information. You could look in the bptm logs for the performance but you'll need to do some scripting to pull out the drive and performance and then add it all up or average it or something.

As for OpsCenter, I've not seen that table before. Can you check if there is anything in it all

select * from Win32_PerfRawData_TapePerf_NetBackupDiskPerTape

This is select (select * from Win32_PerfRawData_TapePerf_NetBackupDiskPerTape) return:

Number: 0x80041010
Facility: WMI
Description: Invalid class

can you get this data(data in attachment) from the command line?

I found utilities (tpconfig, vmoprcmd), but they do not contain the necessary information.

I'm looking at the directory and do not see this log(screen in attachment file).
On your site I read that this is an outdated method.(https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/124075247-127137161-0/v88899061-127137161)
Is there a more modern method to keep track of performance of tape drives?

Hey. can you help me or do I need to write something else?

Marianne

@Maxim_k wrote:

I'm looking at the directory and do not see this log(screen in attachment file).
On your site I read that this is an outdated method.(https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/124075247-127137161-0/v88899061-127137161)
Is there a more modern method to keep track of performance of tape drives?

Why would you believe that bptm logging is outdated?

Legacy does not mean outdated. It is simply the original logging method that is still in use. 

Hi @Marianne

Thank you for answer.

1) Is bptm logging the only way to get this info?

2) How to turn on (activate) this logging?

3) Is there a discription / documentation of logging output?

4) What is the source of data for OpsCentre's "tape library summary","tape library utilization" and "tape library throughput" report?

Marianne

@Maxim_k wrote:

Hi @Marianne

Thank you for answer.

1) Is bptm logging the only way to get this info?

2) How to turn on (activate) this logging?

3) Is there a discription / documentation of logging output?

4) What is the source of data for OpsCentre's "tape library summary","tape library utilization" and "tape library throughput" report?

I do not have answers to all your questions...

1) That is the only way I know since it is the bptm process on the media server that is responsible for write and read operations.

2) In the same manual that you found - About legacy logging: 
https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/124075247-127137161-0/v41116163-127137161   
(best to download the pdf version - easier to search)

3) The type of information logged in bptm is also explained somewhere else in the logging guide
I have posted over here on how I read legacy logs: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/How-to-use-logs/m-p/447331#M98462

4) I really don't know. Hopefully OpsCenter experts will club in here. 

okay I have a log file from C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\logs\bptm but I do not understand how I can get information about tape lib.

where about this can be read?
or an example of parsing?

Thanks, Max

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I wouldn't even attempt to automate this via bptm log - use OPsCenter which can report the drive performance.

Although this is disk, you get throughput lines such as this.  

00:00:20.331 [2956.2628] <4> report_throughput: VBRT 2 2956 5 1 D:\Storage\one\ @aaaab 0 1 0 236641 236641 16 0 953 0 63 131 15 925 30 (../bptm.c.19559)

... though working out which field is which is another thing ....   Like I said, it is not easy.

OpsCenter has a built in drive performce report if I remember correctly.

hello @mph999

okay
What do the numbers in this line mean?

Where does the OPsCenter take information about the tape lib?

Thanks, Max

Does OpsCenter use special api?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

They are undocumented, so I'm not sure.  Despite looking in the code I'm still not sure (though I'm not a programmer).

It would probably take a request into Enginering to find out exactly what they are  - I can't do that without a support call.

As I explained, this is not the best way to do things as there is no promise the values will stay the same between versions.

You do get this line though, for each fragment that is written

11:31:00.845 [14548] <2> write_backup_update_frags: Kbytes = 30496

If you know the time the job started, you can workout the speed (for frag 1), then for each subsequent frag you would need to know when the last fragment finished and then use the time difference to work out the speed again.  Not easy.

OpsCenter communicates to NBU via the NBU nbsl process, it takes it's data from the NetBackup NBDB (internal SQL database).  As far as  I know it doesn't report on the library status, only tape drive performance.