cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question about netbackup deduplication license

Victor_Mak
Level 3

Hello guys,

I got confuse about the netbackup deduplication license. Current, our production enviornment running netbackup deduplication options with follow license:

SYMC NETBACKUP ENTERPRISE SERVER 7.0 WIN/LNX/SOLX64 1 SERVER TIER 2 STD LIC

SYMC NETBACKUP DEDUPLICATION OPTION 7.0 XPLAT 1 FRONT END TBYTE STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S  

i can found from the admin console the puredisk option license is 1TB. So, what does it means? I can create a deduplication pool equal to 1TB or less (honestly, now we are using over 1TB pool size)? or the client backup data can not bigger than 1TB? If i am planning upgrade Netbackup with deduplication from 7.0 to 7.6 with 5TB deplulcation pool .Which licensing i need to renew/purchase? also the quantity. Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The dedupe license is for the amount of client data you backup - the equivalent of one full backup on all of the clients. So, nothing to do with the size of the dedupe volume or the amount of full and incremental backups stored on the dedupe volume. Symantec calls this 'Front end' capacity license. The only way to really confirm what you are licensed for is your license key certificate. The actual FET (front end terabyte) amount is not stored on the server.

View solution in original post

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, FETB refers to the data that lies on the front end, not the backend storage devices. It is a trust license as all Symantec NetBackuplicenses are.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

It means NetBackup can protect 1TB of data that reside on or across your clients. It DOES NOT influence the size of your MSDP/PureDisk pool.

Speak to your local Symantec account manager or Partner about licensing. The model has changed and deduplication is now include in platform licensing, but you seem to be using traditional.

Victor_Mak
Level 3

Hi,

can you explain more details on "protect". i have no idea about the different between protect and unprotect means. Let's say if the total of deduplication pool is 5TB and all of the clients backup the data to that pool. what does that "1TB" means? Sorry for my inconvenience.

Marianne
Level 6
The dedupe license is for the amount of client data you backup - the equivalent of one full backup on all of the clients. So, nothing to do with the size of the dedupe volume or the amount of full and incremental backups stored on the dedupe volume. Symantec calls this 'Front end' capacity license. The only way to really confirm what you are licensed for is your license key certificate. The actual FET (front end terabyte) amount is not stored on the server.

RiaanBadenhorst

Backup

Victor_Mak
Level 3

that means if the backup size of all the clients let says 5TB. i need to buy 5TB FETB? i wondor if the FETB license is some kind of trust license. because day one we only bought 1TB duduplication license but we still can backup arount 5TB data. Please correct me if i am wrong. Thanks.

RiaanBadenhorst

Yes, FETB refers to the data that lies on the front end, not the backend storage devices. It is a trust license as all Symantec NetBackuplicenses are.

Victor_Mak
Level 3

i got it. thanks for your clarification. :D