cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question on finding expired tapes

manatee
Level 6

NBU 7.6.0.3

NBU console->Media->Volume Pool... i see that most of my tapes are now in "Scratch". some are still in "Weekly" or "Monthly".

so is this a good indicator to find which tapes to recycle? or do i need to rely on the tape summary report?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sort the Media GUI by Assign Time.

Anything with blank Assign Time can be recycled/overwritten.

Only tapes that came from Scratch will be returned to Scratch when images expire.

If images on a tapes have expired (Assign Time empty) it means that they did not come from Scratch. You should as a once-off move expired tapes not in Scratch to the Scratch pool to ensure correct recycling in future.

Tape Summary report can only be used to see when tapes will expire.
Already expired tapes will not appear in this report.

Tape Summary report should be run on more or less weekly basis to see when tapes will expire.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Your scratch tapes are the ones that are ready to be overwritten or disposed off if you need to.

I'm not sure that I fully understood your question.  Did you mean which ones are ready to be ejected for off-site storage?  Or disposed off?  Or do you need to completely wipe any?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Sort the Media GUI by Assign Time.

Anything with blank Assign Time can be recycled/overwritten.

Only tapes that came from Scratch will be returned to Scratch when images expire.

If images on a tapes have expired (Assign Time empty) it means that they did not come from Scratch. You should as a once-off move expired tapes not in Scratch to the Scratch pool to ensure correct recycling in future.

Tape Summary report can only be used to see when tapes will expire.
Already expired tapes will not appear in this report.

Tape Summary report should be run on more or less weekly basis to see when tapes will expire.

manatee
Level 6

most of my tapes that have blank "Time Assigned" are already in Scratch pool. only a handful i have to manually move to Scratch pool.

thanks.