cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Failed to initialize EMM connection" on Media Server and "Error connecting to oprd on mediaserver: EMM database error(196)" on Master Server

fmk
Level 3

I am unable to connect to connect to Media Server while running Device Configuration Wizard or Volume Configuration Wizard. they fail to detect device and show error "Error connecting to oprd on mediaserver: EMM database error(196)". While running "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on the Media Server I received error "Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and x_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)". 

I have Windows 2008 Enterprise x86 Master Server and Windows 2008 Standard x86 Media Server. NetBackup 7.1

Out put of "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on Media Server:
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\Admincmd>nbemmcmd -getemmserver
NBEMMCMD, Version: 7.1
Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and x_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)
Command did not complete successfully.

Out put of "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on Master Server:

I have done the below tests. 
1. From master server check if the media server is able to ping. 
2. Check if the media server is able to resolve
3. Issue command bptestbpcd –client s003.flab.com -verbose to test the connectivity

4. Issue command bpgetconfig –s s003.flab.com.  This command will list the NetBackup version installed on the media server. 

5. Issue command bpclntcmd –hn s003.flab.com to check if the host name is resolving correct IP in netbackup.

6. Note down the IP from step 5 and issue command bpclntcmd –ip <registered media server ip> to check if the ip is resolving to correct hostname in netbackup.

7. From media server issue command bpclntcmd –pn to check if the its communicating to and back from master server

8. From Master server issue nbemmcmd –listhosts to see host entries in EMM database.

9. From Master server issue nbemmcmd –getemmserver to check if the media server is able to connect to EMM database in master server.

10. From Media server issue nbemmcmd –getemmserver to check if the media server is able to connect to EMM database in master server.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

fmk
Level 3

Fixed Errors: "EMM interface initialization failed, status = 334", "EMM database error (196)" & "Fai...

It all started when I was trying to connect to new Media Server by running Device Configuration or Volume Configuration Wizards, they failed to detect devices and showed error "Error connecting to oprd on mediaserver: EMM database error(196)".
On Media Server "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" command showed error "Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and x_exchange are running on the EMM server (195)".
In Media Server's event viewer I found error "EMM interface initialization failed, status = 334".

Verification

Ran "nbdb_ping" on Master Server:
Database [NBDB] is alive and well on server [NB_masterserver]

Ran "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on Master Server:

Ran "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on Media Server:
Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and x_exchange are running on the EMM server. (195)

OBBC Verification
Referred Symantec article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46255
According to the article if ODBC driver doesn't have Version, company, etc updated then error 334 may show up.
My ODBC

The path to a critical DLL for allowing ODBC communication to the EMM database must be found at the specified location. The DLL is called DBODBC11.DLL. I checked and confirmed that the DLL existed in the correct location, \<InstallPath>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\WIN32\DBODBC11.DLL. Since DLL was there, I checked the registry to make sure it is pointing to the correct working path for this DLL:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\NB SQL Anywhere\ and verified the keys named Driver and Setup are pointing to the correct path. 

Regedit verification:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\NBAZDB\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\NB SQL Anywhere\
Driver & Setup keys were setup correctly.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\
However, in ODBC Drivers there was no key named "NB SQL Anywhere", instead there was "NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2"

Then I opened
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\data\ vxdbms.conf file in notepad
VXDBMS_NB_DATABASE = NBDB                        (Correct)
VXDBMS_AZ_DATABASE = NBAZDB                    (Correct)
VXDBMS_ODBC_DRIVER = NB SQL Anywhere   (Incorrect)

Changes:
I renamed "NB SQL Anywhere" to "NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2" in Regedit and updated vxdbms.conf with VXDBMS_ODBC_DRIVER = NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2

ODBC Drivers entry got updated.

Then I also referred to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56484 for "Failed to initialize EMM connection" error:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config
"Server" string value did not have Media Server's name listed so I updated it. (Each Server name must be separated by a line break (one server name per line). Spaces are not allowed.)

I just realized that I did not have EMM Port number 1556 enabled in the Group Policy for Firewall, so I got it enabled as well.

Rebooted the Master and Media Servers.

I was able to map the Media Server's VTL to my Master Server.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

fmk
Level 3

Solution

Enabled the port EMM port number 1556 on my Firewall.

fmk
Level 3

Fixed Errors: "EMM interface initialization failed, status = 334", "EMM database error (196)" & "Fai...

It all started when I was trying to connect to new Media Server by running Device Configuration or Volume Configuration Wizards, they failed to detect devices and showed error "Error connecting to oprd on mediaserver: EMM database error(196)".
On Media Server "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" command showed error "Failed to initialize EMM connection. Verify that network access to the EMM server is available and x_exchange are running on the EMM server (195)".
In Media Server's event viewer I found error "EMM interface initialization failed, status = 334".

Verification

Ran "nbdb_ping" on Master Server:
Database [NBDB] is alive and well on server [NB_masterserver]

Ran "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on Master Server:

Ran "nbemmcmd -getemmserver" on Media Server:

OBBC Verification
Referred Symantec article http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH46255
According to the article if ODBC driver doesn't have Version, company, etc updated then error 334 may show up.
My ODBC

The path to a critical DLL for allowing ODBC communication to the EMM database must be found at the specified location. The DLL is called DBODBC11.DLL. I checked and confirmed that the DLL existed in the correct location, \<InstallPath>\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\WIN32\DBODBC11.DLL. Since DLL was there, I checked the registry to make sure it is pointing to the correct working path for this DLL:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\NB SQL Anywhere\ and verified the keys named Driver and Setup are pointing to the correct path. 

Regedit verification:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI\NBAZDB\

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\NB SQL Anywhere\
Driver & Setup keys were setup correctly.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBCINST.INI\ODBC Drivers\
However, in ODBC Drivers there was no key named "NB SQL Anywhere", instead there was "NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2"

Then I opened
C:\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackupDB\data\ vxdbms.conf file in notepad
VXDBMS_NB_DATABASE = NBDB                        (Correct)
VXDBMS_AZ_DATABASE = NBAZDB                    (Correct)
VXDBMS_ODBC_DRIVER = NB SQL Anywhere   (Incorrect)

Changes:
I renamed "NB SQL Anywhere" to "NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2" in Regedit and updated vxdbms.conf with VXDBMS_ODBC_DRIVER = NB Adaptive Server Anywhere 9.0.2

ODBC Drivers entry got updated.

Then I also referred to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH56484 for "Failed to initialize EMM connection" error:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config
"Server" string value did not have Media Server's name listed so I updated it. (Each Server name must be separated by a line break (one server name per line). Spaces are not allowed.)

I just realized that I did not have EMM Port number 1556 enabled in the Group Policy for Firewall, so I got it enabled as well.

Rebooted the Master and Media Servers.

I was able to map the Media Server's VTL to my Master Server.