cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Install A Clustered Master Server" Greyed Out

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

I am trying to set up a test NBU 7.6.0.1 master server cluster with VCS but the option to "install a clustered master server" is greyed out.

I have built 2 new servers, installed SFHA / VCS 6.0.1 and configured disks / volumes / disk groups / VVR replication. The VCS installation has not been modified or customised in any way as from my understanding the NBU installation will create its own service group.

I've probably just made a silly mistake somewhere but I can't figure out what piece of the puzzle I have missed - any ideas?

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
VCS initial config must be done. 'gabconfig -a' must show ports a and h.

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

Hi Marianne - I have carried out the initial configuration and added the remote cluster node. The status in cluster explorer shows that both nodes are running and the hearbeat is alive, but the above command produces the following error: "GAB gabconfig ERROR V-15-2-25022".

Marianne

Still something wrong with initial cluster config or heartbeat connectivity.

I see you have mentioned heartbeat - 1 or 2?
VCS needs a minimum of 2. What does 'lltconfig -nvv' show?

VCS will only startup once LLT and gab are running.

PS: 

You may want to download the VCS Installation Guide and go through the Requirements and setup sections:

http://static-sort.symanteccloud.com/public/documents/sfha/6.0.1/windows/productguides/pdf/VCS_Insta... 

You will see the following under hardware requirements:

; Symantec recommends three NICs: one public and two for the VCS private network. 

The VCS Cluster Configuration Wizard (VCW) will prompt for heartbeat/interconnect NICs, but best to test interconnects with IP addresses on different subnets for each pair of heartbeats before you start - test with ping between heartbeat NICs on the nodes.
(I have always preferred to rename the heartbeat NICs for easy identification during VCS config, e.g. HB1, HB2 on both nodes.)

You may want to post in VCS forum:  https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/storage-management/forums/cluster-server  for assistance with initial cluster config. 

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

Hi Marianne - thanks for the useful information (as always!).

That command gives me a similarly negative output - "LLT lltconfig ERROR V-14-2-15000 open \\.\llt failed: error number: 0x2".

Within cluster explorer, the default ClusterService service group is all up and running, the global cluster option is enabled and the remote cluster status also shows that the other cluster is up.

I have configured the test servers with one NIC, as our live cluster is configured and working in this way with 3 different IPs in use - one for the server itself, one for the local cluster and one for the virtual master name. Support have commented on this in the past and I must admit that I don't know why the consultants chose to configure it in this way.

I will go through that document to see if I can spot what I have missed, and I will also post in the VCS forum as this certainly seems like a VCS setup issue.

Marianne

You need separate NICs for hearbeats. No way around that.

2 minimum - 1 dedicated hearbeat and another shared between Public NIC and heartbeat.

Symantec recommends 3 NICs (as per my previous post).

The only time where heartbeat NICs are not required is for one-node cluster.

Shaun_Taylor
Level 5
Certified

Just to confirm - in our live environment we have a global cluster that consists of 2 single-node local clusters. Is this why each node just has one NIC? Everything has worked fine with this NIC configuration for the past 5 years and Symantec support haven't suggested changing it at any point.

Marianne

Yes - single node clusters do not need heartbeat NICs.

We don't know what you have in this installation - single or 2-node cluster?

Marianne