Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"RDSM has encountered an STS error" when configuring NB 7.5 MSDP

Ideal_NB
Level 3

Hello,

I'm configuring MSDP in a solaris 10 server (backup-media) with NB7.5

It is a dedicated media server for this purpose only with a local disk mounted as /storage1 for the backups.

When running the "Configure Disk Storage Servers" wizard, in the final part when it performs the tasks for the storage server creation, it passes  
the first step "Creating storage server backup-media" but fails with error "file not found (2060018)" in the "Adding credentials for server backup-media" step.

I did a search and found this:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH159295

So, following that technote, I removed the media server and add it again but this time with FQDN. I run the wizard again and this time it passed to the next step,
"Configuring media server deduplication pool backup-media.company.local" where it fails with a new error:

Configuration media server deduplication pool backup-media.company.local system call failed (11)
RDSM has encountered an STS error:
updateStorageServerConfig

Any help?

11 REPLIES 11

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I think you can resolve this by deleteing theis file :

/usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins/(servername>.cfg ...

Depending on OS, I think the ost-plugins dir might be in a difflocation, so you might have to search for it.

However - I am NOT an expert on msdp related issues, so you may wish to hold back for someone else to comment - I've deleted that file aon a few occassions when I had errors on re-config without issues, but this has been on a test system where it doesn't matter too muchj what the result is.

Perhaps best to make a safe copy ...

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As Martin says the first attempt may have left the cfg file but also check that you have added the Enterprise Disk / De-Dupe license to the Media Server itself and not just the Master Server

Hope this helps

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

what does pdde-config.log say. The files is located in {storage_path/log/pdde-config.log (I guess this is /storage1 ).

It sound like a credentials issue to be -  I had a similar issues on a SUSE 11 Linux box - More can be found at:

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup/quick-hints/91-creation-os-msdp-pool-fail-on-suse-11.html

Ideal_NB
Level 3

Thanks for the answers,

I found the backup-media.cfg file under /usr/openv/lib/ost-plugins but only in the media server.

Regarding the license, could you tell me what string should I grep for to see if dedupe is there in the media server?

(I mean, something like #./bpminlicense -list_keys -verbose |grep Dedupe)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It is on the media server ...

Ideal_NB
Level 3

Ok, I removed it and tried again, but I had exactly the same error.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You need to make sure that each Media server does have all license keys registered

So on the Media Server check which keys are installed

You need the Base NetBackup key plus at least the De-Dupe key installed - depends on your licensing type (traditional or capacity)

Once the keys are installed re-start NBU processes to ensure they are registered

Run the license key commands on the Media Server itself to check and add the keys

so bpminlicense -list_keys (dont think you need the verbose if you have you keys to hand) and bpminlicense -add_keys

Hope this helps

Ideal_NB
Level 3

Our license type was changed to capacity when we upgraded to NB 7.5.

The licenses are the same that I have installed in the main backup server but I don't see any reference to De-dupe on the results:

license type    = 1 Permanent
  Site ID         = 2006 Unknown site: 2006
  Feature ID      = 86 PureDisk Remote Office +
  Feature ID      = 85 PureDisk Option +
  Feature ID      = 78 OpenStorage Disk Option +
  Feature ID      = 46 DataStore +

license type    = 1 Permanent
  Site ID         = 2006 Unknown site: 2006
  Feature ID      = 89 Replication Director +
  Feature ID      = 84 SAN Client +
  Feature ID      = 83 PureDisk MS Exchange Agent +
  Feature ID      = 81 Enterprise Vault Agent +
  Feature ID      = 80 PureDisk MS SQL Server Agent +
  Feature ID      = 79 Flexible Disk Option +
  Feature ID      = 78 OpenStorage Disk Option +
  Feature ID      = 76 Virtual Tape Option +
  Feature ID      = 75 Bare Metal Restore +
  Feature ID      = 74 Encryption +
  Feature ID      = 73 Open File Backup +
  Feature ID      = 71 Remote Client Support +
  Feature ID      = 70 Robotic Library Sharing Support +
  Feature ID      = 69 Remote Media Server Support +
  Feature ID      = 68 Microsoft RSM Robotic Libraries +
  Feature ID      = 67 ADIC DAS/SDLC Robotic Libraries +
  Feature ID      = 66 IBM ATL Robotic Libraries +
  Feature ID      = 65 Fujitsu LMF Robotic Libraries +
  Feature ID      = 64 StorageTek ACS Robotic Libraries +
  Feature ID      = 62 Snapshot Client +
  Feature ID      = 61 MS SharePoint Agent +
  Feature ID      = 58 Inline Tape Copy +
  Feature ID      = 54 Vault +
  Feature ID      = 49 Library Based Tape Drives +
  Feature ID      = 46 DataStore +
  Feature ID      = 43 Encryption (Legacy DES 56-bit) +
  Feature ID      = 42 Encryption (Legacy DES 40-bit) +
  Feature ID      = 40 SAP extension +
  Feature ID      = 38 Sybase extension +
  Feature ID      = 37 Informix extension +
  Feature ID      = 36 Oracle extension +
  Feature ID      = 35 Lotus Notes extension +
  Feature ID      = 34 DB2 extension +
  Feature ID      = 33 MS SQL Server extension +
  Feature ID      = 32 MS Exchange extension +
  Feature ID      = 30 Shared Storage Option +
  Feature ID      = 27 NDMP +
  Feature ID      = 22 Additional clients +
  Feature ID      = 20 Base NetBackup +

It is supposed that we have a license for deduplication, but I don't see a specific word in these results

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The first small key set you list is a de-dupe key (referrred to as PureDisk Option etc.)

So you look good in that respect.

Just in case there is a bug or glitch in the Wizard try setting it up via the command line - check out the NetBackup_Commands.pdf on your installation media for full details

Ideal_NB
Level 3

Thanks for the clarification on the license.

According to the tech note I linked in the beginning, it seems that in fact there is a bug in the wizard.

The thing is that I have no idea about which command(s) does that and which parameters to add to it, instead of using the wizard itself (yes, I found the guide but when you don't know what to do it does not help a lot...)

I would really appreciate if someone could give me an example of the full syntax for such a command, I mean a real example.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

It is all nbdevconfig based

Use the -create_sts to create the Storage Server with the -stype of PurDisk (though you may already have the server in place after the first part of the wizard?)

Next i believe comes the -createdp and -createdv

As there are so many variables involved just take a look at this section of the guide to see how it fits with what you are doing

Hope this helps - sure someone will come along with the exact command for you soon