cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Suspend" - Active Jobs

JAM1991
Level 4

I have a question regarding the "Suspend" function on Active jobs.

Is it possible to Suspend a job and configure it to "Resume" automatically; for example in 3 hours time?

Thanks in advance,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

No such option.

You need to manually resume when ready.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Marianne
Level 6

No such option.

You need to manually resume when ready.

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

if you want to suspend your active jobs, first of all, you should enable "Take checkpoints every" in policy.

do you want to suspend job manually and resume job automatically?

refer to bpdbjobs command usage, seems to work.

bpdbjobs -resume | -suspend | -delete | -cancel | -restart
job1,job2,...jobn | type=jobtype | type=all [-M master_servers]
[-quiet] [-reason "string"]

anohter question, not sure why you do this?

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

..... unless you could schedule/cron a bpdbjobs -resume for that specific job or jobs, which may be more trouble than it's worth?

DG-2005
Level 5

This would be the best option, also scheduling to find out which job to suspend to start the suspending as well. that way you would stop the job at a given time everyday and have it resume 3 hours later.

JAM1991
Level 4

Thanks for all responses, main reason is one of our remote sites has a client - which has been backing up since 04/08/2014.

I was after suspending the job during operation hours, to avoid impact on traffic; then resuming the job out of hours.

However on further inspection, I'm not sure if the job is running. (screenshot attached).

Untitled_0.jpg

Marianne
Level 6

This looks like the parent job that is collecting BMR info. 
The jobs seems to be hung.

Best to kill it and run the policy again.

If this process does not complete within 30 minutes, start with troubleshooting steps on the master and client.

It seems the question in your opening post has been answered. 
Please mark a Solution (or Request split solution to mark more than one post) to close off this discussion.

It BMR process hangs again during next policy run, please open a new discussion for the BMR save issue.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

I was after suspending the job during operation hours, to avoid impact on traffic; then resuming the job out of hours.

From your subsequent statement & the screen grab I doubt there is any impact on traffic!

Looks like we could now be dealing with a different query than initially intended, so probably good idea to start separate discussion and provide more info on your environment: OS/NB versions etc etc etc.

Also think about including: How long incrementals on this client normally take. Or is it new? What type of backup? Is it actually intended as a BMR backup? Type/size/makeup of data - millions of small files?

For now I would be tempted to suspend/resume now to see if it kicks it into life or dies. I would be even more tempted to cancel & try again - but that would depend on your business requirements, however its doing no good as it currently stands.

Will_Restore
Level 6

a client - which has been backing up since 04/08/2014.

I hope that is 4 August 2014 and not April 8 2014!  surprise