Did you mean: 

"Warning: unable to obtain list of files using specified search criteria"

Zahid_Haseeb
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Environment

Veritas Netbackup = 7.1

OS = win2008

Problem

I am trying to browse the backup images of Flat files from Backup , Archive and Restore but not able to get it. See the below attached snap for reference:

Note: I was able to take the backup successfully and restore too but today morning I am facing this problem. I can also see the latest backups in Catalog

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zahid_Haseeb

Problem resolved. I am extremly sorry to all but thanks for kind output as usual. I dig more and found that my Client mentioned old server name in the source tab which obsiously had few old backups and the new server name is almost similar which he did not mention properly in the source tab.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

here, or just clicking on one of those blue dots?

If the latter, as it is an incremental it could be that nothing was actually backed up as nothing had changed since the previous backup - I can replicate that exactly as I have one incremental backup that doesn't change a great deal from day to day.

Zahid_Haseeb

Actually these are the backups of September 7(which is actually old) which shows default when I open the Backup Archive and restore but when I click on restore button so that I can pick the latest Full backup (which is also shows in the Catalog) , I get the mentioned error

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Even a FULL backup can be empty - e.g. empty directory, exclude lists etc.

I'm presuming search criteria for restore are correct otherwise you wouldn't have the output in the top window.

You say it did work yesterday?
Is this the same restore you're trying?
What's changed since?
You mention Win2008 - is that where you're running the BAR GUI from? It's not the favorite right-click, "run-as" syndrome is it?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Did you remember to specify/select the backup type as 'Catalog' in 'Specify machines and Policy type' ?

Zahid_Haseeb

I'm presuming search criteria for restore are correct otherwise you wouldn't have the output in the top window.

The source tab has the computer whose backup I took and the destination tab is a diffferent computer (I also select the same source PC too just for checking)

You say it did work yesterday?

I restored the backup may be a month ago successfully but yesterday I took the full backup.

What's changed since?

Although the source directory/folder which I took full backupyesterday may not changed since a month 

You mention Win2008

Win2008 is the Netbackup Server OS and the user is Local Admin

Zahid_Haseeb

backup type as 'Catalog' 

How ?

See the way I am doing. the below snap for your reference.

When I clicked OK I see the error

Zahid_Haseeb

Even a FULL backup can be empty

What i have come to know that the above highlighted line means that if no change in the backup then there will not be a backup in Backup, Archive and Restore ? If yes then why the Catalog shows the Full Backup in its search

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

If you're backing up ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES with multiple data streams then you'll get a job for each local drive. Now if someone has created an exclude_list for one of those drives (accidentally or intentionally) e.g. C:\ , then you'll get the result you are seeing. The jobs are started before the exclude_lists are referenced - so the job is recorded but has no contents.

Can you select a range of backups to cover the one you are interested in?

e.g.

However, I do know that there's nothing in this backup anyway - are you 100% certain that data was backed up for the job you are selecting?

Zahid_Haseeb

Problem resolved. I am extremly sorry to all but thanks for kind output as usual. I dig more and found that my Client mentioned old server name in the source tab which obsiously had few old backups and the new server name is almost similar which he did not mention properly in the source tab.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

blush

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Don't we all love our customers who send us all on a 'wild goose chase' with their 'finger trouble'!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

a thanks for the help never goes amiss