cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"pulling" NB 6.5.4 client as opposed to "pushing"?

stan56
Level 4
I have a set of "restricted" servers in my environment (linux and AIX) that I don't have accounts on (and will never be allowed to log in to). I'm wondering how I can distribute NB 6.5.4 client software to them. There's a documented procedure for "pushing" clients with "install_client_files" script, but unfortunately there's no documented procedure for doing the opposite. The master server is on Solaris. I can set up an NFS share on the master and allow the client to mount it and run the install script. And from what  understand the software is already on the master server (since I can push it out). I just need to figure out where the binaries are located so I can point the clients to them. Has anyone done this before?

I found a technote that kind of provides a solution: http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/237793.htm

If I understand the procedure correctly, I can push the install binaries to a "dummy" server, then tar them and copy back to the master and then share them with my other clients. But it seems to be sort of a waste of time moving the files back and forth as I'm guessing all the files I need are already on the master. Does anyone know where they are located?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

stan56
Level 4
I tried that and it doesn't work the way I had hoped. I can't run client_config from a read-only share, and it turns out there's a good reason for that. After that script runs, it deletes all the files in the directory and even removes the directory itself. Oh well.

So I'll resort to what they suggest in that technote. I'll copy the files to one box, tar them up, upload to a share on a master, and then the way to install it will be to copy the file to a temp directory on a client, untar it and run client_config from there.

View solution in original post

19 REPLIES 19

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
why not copy the installation DVDs and patches to the master server and share them thru NFS?

stan56
Level 4
I want unattended install, and I don't want to be installing base and then the patches. It's double the work and requires answering prompts. Pushing the client solves both problems, now if I could find a way of pulling instead of pushing...

Marianne
The 'push-install' files are under /usr/openv/netbackup/client.
You should be able to share the relevant sub-folder for your client O/S.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
is your master windows or unix?

if it is unix you can push from the console.

stan56
Level 4
Thanks, I think this is it! I'll try running client_config from a client and see what happens.

stan56
Level 4
You are correct, except that for this to work you need to have access to root account on the client (via rsh or ssh). Unfortunately I don't have access to the clients in question.

stu52
Level 5
OK, so you don't have access to the system(s) in question.  Then give the media (or directions to the share) to someone who does and let them install it.  If the people responsible for the system really want it to be backed up they will either install the client software themselves or give you access to do it.  Seems simple to me.

stan56
Level 4
That' exactly my intention. But I need to provide them with an unattended installation method, something they can script and run on 100+ servers. I can't just point them to the installation binaries and 6.5.4 patches and tell them to install it manually on each server. BTW... I'm responsible for backing up their data, not them.

stan56
Level 4
I tried that and it doesn't work the way I had hoped. I can't run client_config from a read-only share, and it turns out there's a good reason for that. After that script runs, it deletes all the files in the directory and even removes the directory itself. Oh well.

So I'll resort to what they suggest in that technote. I'll copy the files to one box, tar them up, upload to a share on a master, and then the way to install it will be to copy the file to a temp directory on a client, untar it and run client_config from there.

Joe_Despres
Level 6
Partner
Generate a client list:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients –allunique –noheader > /tmp/CLIENTS

Note:  Edit out the clients you do not want to upgrade.......

Update the clients in question:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/update_clients –ClientList /tmp/CLIENTS

Joe Despres

stu52
Level 5
Stan,

you can certainly write a script and there are tools out there that can be used for unattended software distribution.  IMHO, the backup software should be part of the standard system build.  In other words if you're going to be putting a system into production, it automatically gets the backup software installed, period!

Furthermore, the backup group (that you are in) is responsible for providing a service - backup & recovery.  It is the system owner's responsibility to inform the backup group that they have a system that needs to be backed up so that it can be included in the backup policies.  The system owner is responsible for ensuring that the system is capable of being backed up and that the right things are getting backed up.

For example, if a new SQL database server is put into production and the system owner only tells you that the system needs a backup but neglects to tell you that there's a SQL database on that system which requires special attention on the backup side, then it's the system owner's problem if the database gets fooshed...not yours.

stan56
Level 4
Thanks! Actually I do need to update a bunch of NB 5.1 clients to 6.5.4. I never heard of this command before, I looked it up in the installation guide and it left me with more questions than answers. Have you used it before? How exactly does it connect to the clients? It needs a way to connect (rsh, ssh, etc.), right?

I'm also not sure why they're asking to stop bprd, unless this is to prevent backups from starting. I would rather deactivate the relevant policies, I can't st opp all backups to update 30 clients!

I was planning on using "install_client_files" script over ssh to update the Unix clients. Except of course the clients that I can't ssh to, hence this discussion ;)

stan56
Level 4
I don't disagree with you. But I do need to provide them with a reasonable way to install the client, if I can't push it to their systems myself.

They already include NB 5.1 in the default installation, I will let them figure out how to incorporate the new client version into the installation process. They will also need to upgrade existing 5.1 clients to 6.5.4.

Ultimately though, I'm responsible for the data protection. I they need to restore a file on one of those servers and it turns out there's no backup, my ass will be held to the fire, not theirs. Unless of course there are reasons they prevent me from backing up their servers which is not the case. They will install the client binaries that I provide, I just need to provide them with a reasonable way to install it.

Marianne
update_clients is the best thing since sliced bread for upgrading existing clients! It connects via bpcd/vnetd, same as client backups (no ssh/rsh, etc. required). It will update the clients with latest software in master's /usr/openv/netbackup/client.

stan56
Level 4

This sounds almost too good to be true! I wish this command was better documented. I guess this answers my question above about how it connects to the client ;)

Thanks for the tip and I'll definitely give it a try to see if it works!

stan56
Level 4

rjrumfelt
Level 6
Can update_clients be used unattended as well?

Marianne
update_clients command has a couple of questions that need to be answered and should therefore not be run unattended. It needs confirmation of client list to be updated, asks how many clients you want to update simultaneously and if server list on client's bp.conf should be updated. I always answer NO here, as a 'yes' answer will another list of SERVER entries to bp.conf.

update_clients is described in the NBU Install guide for Unix and Linux.
Extract:
The update_clients installation script can determine the full client list that is configured on the server. When it is run without any parameters, it attempts to update all clients (as determined by /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpplclients). If you do not want to upgrade all clients, you can specify a subset of clients. Use the hardware type and operating system parameters or use the -ClientList parameter.

stan56
Level 4
I had someone on my team give it a try, and they say it's working, with no need for ssh keys or other means of logging in to remote servers. It seems we now have a good way of pushing the updated client software. Thanks for the tip!