cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"restaging" images from tape

GlenG
Level 4

Is it possible to "restore" files from a disk stage "Final destination media" back to the disk "Temporary Staging Area"? 

We have a small number (2) of LTO4 tape drives and a large (30TB) Temporary Staging Area and relatively slow (1Gb) network connection.  When restoring servers with only a few 10's or 100's of GB it would be much faster to restage from tape to disk and do several restores than to do 1 or 2 straight off the tape(s).

NetBackup is 6.5.4
media and backup server is Solaris 10 running on a X4500

Thanks for any insight,
Glen Gunselman
4 REPLIES 4

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
Sure, you can set your final destination as the media server, then restore to your 30TB staging area.  I would not reccommend making that area available to users, but copy the data back to where they are expecting to find it for them.

NBUTSE
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
What you'll want to do is to duplicate the images back to your disk storage unit, and you can do that from the catalog section in the administration console.  Go there, and change the action drop down menu to 'duplicate' from 'verify', and then put in criteria to describe the backups which you want to duplicate, those being the images you want to restore from.  Once you enter in that criteria, click search now.  Now from the list below, select the backup images you want to duplicate back to the disk, you can control click to select multiple images, then with those selected, go to the actions menu at the top, and click on duplicate.  It will ask where you want to dupe them to, and you can specify your disk staging unit. 

Caveats:
NetBackup has a default maximum copy value of 2, so since we would be duplicating from a second copy to make a third, we may need to increase the maximum copies value.  Check the master server host properties -> Global attributes -> Maximum backup copies.
The images will maintain the existing retention, so be sure to either expire them when done, remember to use the -copy flag on bpexpdate, or you'll expire all the copies.

-Sean

GlenG
Level 4
Kevin,

Thanks for the info.

In our current setup the "users" do their own restores.  I need a procedure where NetBackup sees the "restaged" files as the primary copy.  Does your procedure do that?  (I don't have access to the server to test at the moment.)

Glen

GlenG
Level 4
Sean,

Thanks for the info.

Will the new copy become the primary copy?

To expand the question a little - what if the images have expired or (in my current case, as I start the transition from 5.1 to 6.5.4) are from a different backup/media server?

Glen