cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"whitespace" problem encounter with client: VM Machine

APinoSr
Level 2

Hi all:

One of our client (VM Machine) is failing with Status code: 4239 "Unable to find the virtual machine...".  What I noticed was that this client contained "whitespaces", i.e.,  USER.USER%20.  The only way to correct this was by deleting the client from the backup policy and adding it back "manually".

My question & concern is the following....  exactly how does NetBackup retrieves the VM name information from the vCenter and what attributes does it reads?  Is there any way to manually check for this information outside of Netbackup?

Thanks in advance!

Alex.

1 REPLY 1

Anonymous
Not applicable

How does NetBackup retrieves the VM name information from the vCenter?

It uses the credentials in Media and Device Management > Credentials > Virtual Machine Servers. And from that it looks inside your vSphere environment for Virtual Machine objects and gets a lot of information about each VM. This is then cached in a file for use in Browsing Virtual Machines to choose as clients when creating a VM Backup policy. The cache file can be reviewed 'outside' of NetBackup (see first link below)

The following are helpful in expanding these topics as well as the Document: NetBackup for VMware Administrator's Guide - this also delves into what is acceptable as characters for VM's.

How to: troubleshoot "Browse VM clients" errors on VMWare Backups (Vstorage)

Browse for VMware Virtual Machines

How to refresh the Virtual Machine cache list in NetBackup 7