cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote ndmp ports

maldinihjw
Level 2

Environments:

1. netbackup version 7.1, one server acting as master and media server.

2. firewall between server and netapp storage

3. remote ndmp policy to backup the data

Anyone has the experience on configuring netbackup and firewall to allow remote ndmp backup? thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but have a look at the 6.x and 7.x Port Guide

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH136090

• If using NDMP:

Media server (DMA) to NDMP filer (tape or disk) requires TCP port 10000.

SERVER_PORT_WINDOW is used inbound from filer to media server for remote NDMP and can also be used for efficient catalog file (TIR data) movement with local and 3-way NDMP.

maldinihjw
Level 2

Thanks, I saw the document, I have tried it but failed, and also there are different description in another document (Symantec Netbackup administrator guide volume 1)

server port window: This property no longer applies to NetBackup 7.0.1 and later. For information about

this property, refer to documentation from a previous release.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Just port 10000 for NDMP (both ways) but if your Master/Media server is unix then it also does ICMP pings to confirm contact to the filer so ensure that is also allowed

Hope this helps

maldinihjw
Level 2

I have enabled the ports, but backup failed.

could you help check the document of http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH128609, does SERVER_PORT_WINDOW work for ndmp client?  

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

maldinihjw,

What did the backup fail with? Do you have an error code or even better copy/paste the Detailed Status of the job? also can you temporarily disable the firewall to see if that is causing backups to fail?

maldinihjw
Level 2

Revarro;

Thanks.

Are you sure the solution (remote ndmp + firewall between client and server + needn't open all ports)could work? because it's not clear, and i see two opposite description in symantec documents.

I'm trying local ndmp backup policy, it should be much more simple.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

No, I'm not sure, thats why I recommend opening all the ports just momentarily whilst you try a backup. IF it works you know its a blocked port issues on the firewall.