cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote office and netbackup

DataProtector
Level 4
Site is currently using BackupExec, but person at site (non IT) is not managing properly.   The server located at remote office is Windows2003 (used as a general file and print server) and is 120GB.   Only 35-40 users access the system, so data change rate is minimal.  I've looked at other backup tools that continuously replicates changes to data over the network to disk located in my datacenters.    Searching for ideals from other Netbackup administrators on how they would approach this and if Symantec has product out that will support my needs.  Trying not to buy a tape library or VTL, media server license, etc for backing up 120GB server.

My Netbackup environment:  1 master (VTL and tape libraries) and 2 remote media servers (tape libraries).  
6 REPLIES 6

SteveYu
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
AFAIK you could do this a number of ways. I am curious to what others say to this question as well

1. Use Netbackup 7 which has client side Dedup bulit-in to the client agent
2. Use Volume replicator (part of Storage Foundation) aka VVR

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
We have a number of remote servers.
We use DFSR (windows utility) to send the data dirs to a server at our production site. Eash remote server has its own directory.

We don't backup the "system" (C drive......)  (windows guys say it is to easy to just rebuild it and restore).

then I backup the drive of the server here that has the DFSR files.
Restores are to the DFSR server here into a restore dir.  Then we map a drive to the remote server and move/copy the file back to them.  (don't do this very often)

Nick_Morris
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Certified
The route we look to be going down is the Netbackup 7 route with the de-dupe for our remote sites. Though i would definitely get a hold of a tape and import in my own location for the initial backup. Initial backup for me would be a killer just using the wire as it would take weeks with the size of it! We did consider going the Datadomain route but cost was always going to prevent us doing this.

DataProtector
Level 4
Thanks for feedback from everyone.   Does anyone know if Symantec website has any links to Netbackup 7 describing in detail the resource requirements for the source dedup to run on client?

TreyT
Level 3
NetBackup PureDisk is a source based de-duplication solution that can address remote site backups.  It would allow the server to do local de-dupe amongst inself and then backup across the WAN.  I'm not sure how the cost would work out for you, but it could be something worth looking for because it removes the need for any local tape in the sites.

SteveYu
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified
To further comment on the topic. I purposely left out mentioning Puredisk because that technology is integrated into Netbackup 7. Specifically the Puredisk client agent is now built into the standard netbackup 7 agent. The puredisk SPA,MBS,MBE and CR are now installed into the media servers.