cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove 1 tape library from backup

darkbishop
Level 3

Hi.

i was wondering if someone can enlight me with my issue. 

im currently have 3 tape library with dedicated media agent for each library.

my question will be, what will be the impact if i take out one of the tape library and media agent out of NBU?

what happen to the backup that been taken by that library? will the tape become unknown/forign if i insert it to another library? do i need to perform import?

hope someone can help me to get a basic idea. 

2 REPLIES 2

quebek
   VIP    Certified

Hello

So to put it in other words you want to decommission a media server. There is a command to do so nbdecommision

nbdecommission -help
Usage:
nbdecommission -oldserver <hostname>
[-list_ref | -newserver <hostname> [-bulk_media_move] [-file <op_dump_file>]]
[-machinetype media | foreign_media | ndmp | replication_host]
[-M <master_server>] [-reason "<reason>"] [-v]

As you can see its needs few parameters... one if it is -newserver - to which will be moved all media written by old server ;)

Check this out https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v12948402-126559472 and this one too https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100018898

Good luck.

DPeaco
   VIP   

I agree with @quebek 

When you decommission a media server, part of the info you provide the decom process is what media server do you want the media assigned to. The EMM DB will be updated with the media entries that used to belong to the "now decommissioned" media server to the name of the media server that you just reassigned the old media over to. So if I had 100 tapes assigned to media1 media server and I needed to decom "media1" media server, I would tell the nbdecommission command assign the media from "media1" to a media server that was going to continue serving my backup solution (i.e. media3). All tapes that used to belong to "media1" would now be assigned over to the media server named "media3".

Make sense? 

Thanks,
Dennis