cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remove media server role from master server

rookie11
   VIP   

Hi all

here's my problem. I need to know steps "how to do".

master (physical) NBU 7.5, win 2003 OS. master+media server same MMBK01 which is robot control host for IBM tape libraries tld 0 n tld 1. i got 1 nbu appliance NBUBK3 and 1 physical media server NBUBK1. total 8 tape drives and 4 storage unit. 1 STU with MMBK01 (master+ media), 2 with NBUBK3 ,1 with NBUBK1. since august i enabled "unrestricted media sharing" setting on master. but we still have 100 tapes with media owner as MMBK01 and 100 tapes with media owner as NBUBK1. 

plan is to migrate master server to virtual server and make it only a MASTER (not media server).

1) How can I change setting or run nbdecommision comand and make my physical master only a master but not a media server and still reuse all my tapes whose media owner is MMBK01. 2) how can I reconfigure my tape libraries n tape drives with NBU appliance NBUBK3 as robot control host ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) use below command to move all medias from MMBK01 to NBUBK1.

bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -oldserver MMBK01 -newserver NBUBK1

2) remove all tape /robot configuraitons manually on MMBK01 and connect them to NBUBK1 , and configure them as you are doing it for new server..

test the restores.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

RamNagalla

1) use below command to move all medias from MMBK01 to NBUBK1.

bpmedia -movedb -allvolumes -oldserver MMBK01 -newserver NBUBK1

2) remove all tape /robot configuraitons manually on MMBK01 and connect them to NBUBK1 , and configure them as you are doing it for new server..

test the restores.

rookie11
   VIP   

thanks Ram.

do i need to use nbdecommision comand to remove entries of MMBK01 from emm database. as if i remove connections etc MMBK01 would still be listed as media and master server but i want it to be only as master. it a prework step which i need to do before migrating catalog from physical to virtual

RamNagalla

not required.. following the above 2 steps will do your work..

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ram is 100% right.

Follow his excellent advice.

Do not use nbdecommission - only use this when you permenantly remove a server from the environment.

These TNs explain what nbdecommission does:

Decommission actions on UNIX/Linux
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO66666

Decommission actions on Windows 
http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO67812