cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

removing old storage drives

NathanNieman
Level 6

I have 5 drives mapped to my server that I used to land my backups on.  Each drive being about 1tb to 1.5 tb

These are located on a snap drive that we are no longer using but I need to get the data off these drive so I can kill the server.

I have them all setup as storage units, and I have changed the High water Mark to 1%, and low water to 0%, but there is still backup data on these drives that I can't seem to copy to tape.  Is there a way to force netbackup to copy this data?

I am running Netbackup 7.5.0.5 on a windows 2008 server.  Master/Media.

Drives are mapped by NTFS.

Drive are told to clean up data every 2 hours, and move it to tape.  I have a file on each drive called Backups and it copys this data to a TS3310 tape Library.

Any help would be great.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check out the bpimagelist command. With this command you can very that two copies exist for a backup. Then use the bpexpdate -d 0 -backupid xxxx -copy 1 to remove the image from the disk storage unit.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have you tried to manually duplicate disk images?
Use bpduplicate or the GUI.

Once all duplications are completed, use Catalog section of the GUI to find all copy 1 images and expire them.

Duplication does not mean images are 'MOVED' to tape. Staging simply creates a 2nd copy and leave copy 1 on disk for fast restores. Images will stay on disk until expiration date or high water mark is reached.

NathanNieman
Level 6

Ok so what I should do is see if the data has been moved to tape.  Or tapes infinty.  I have tried to run a manually duplication from the gui but it seems to follow the high/low water mark.  

I will see if they data has been moved to tape I never though of that since most of the time when it is moved the image clean up deletes it from the drive.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have tried to run a manually duplication from the gui but it seems to follow the high/low water mark.  

No idea what this means?

Staging does not mean original copy is removed from disk.  
The whole idea with disk backups is to keep it on disk for fast restores. 
Disk backups are kept until they naturally expire (determined by policy schedule) or until High Water mark is reached.

You will have to manually expire disk copies once duplications have completed.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check out the bpimagelist command. With this command you can very that two copies exist for a backup. Then use the bpexpdate -d 0 -backupid xxxx -copy 1 to remove the image from the disk storage unit.

NathanNieman
Level 6

Thank you I see the backups on Tape and understand this a lot better now.