cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoration VmWare

Lion13
Level 4

Hello all

I just do a restore of a VM to a different ESX overwriting the original VM.

Problem: the restored VM on ESX different does not start. and having no longer the original VM I do not know

how to

Thank you for your help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Have you tried to restore the machine to a different esxhost and data store with a different name using nbrestorevm?

nbrestorevm -vmw -C <backed up client name> -R <absolute path to change file> 

In the change file (I use change.txt for the name) enter this:

change name to <new_vm_name>

change esxhost to <new_esx_host> - The actual ESX server not the vSphere server)

change datastore to <new_datastore>

Be sure you triger a new line after each entry including the last. If you get no errors on the restore and you cannot power on the machine then you have something wrong with the image.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

It not a good idea to overwrite a VM unless you have a previous backup of the VM up and running. 

The only thing you can do is restoring a earlier version of the VM in the hope the older version start. If not you need to access the VMDK files manual to recover the data located in the VMDK files 

http://www.vmwarearena.com/2014/06/access-vmware-vmdk-virtual-disk-from-windows.html

Did you try safe mode when booting the restored VM ?

Lion13
Level 4

hello,

I agree with you: do not overwrite one if there is no previous backup

My colleague could not rename the VM and he checked the overwrite option before starting the restore.

Problem: I just checked on the ESX (datastore) or restoration was done and I see that the files are there

but I can not boot the VM an error message Operating system not found

have you ever encounter this error?

regard 

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

There has been an issue like this when using san transport for restore in Netbackup 7.5.0.X. The workaround was the use nbd for the restore or install an EEB.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Lion13
Level 4

Hello

I tried the restaurant and I nbd error code 2820
i can not identify the problem.

Regard

Andrew_Madsen
Level 6
Partner

Have you tried to restore the machine to a different esxhost and data store with a different name using nbrestorevm?

nbrestorevm -vmw -C <backed up client name> -R <absolute path to change file> 

In the change file (I use change.txt for the name) enter this:

change name to <new_vm_name>

change esxhost to <new_esx_host> - The actual ESX server not the vSphere server)

change datastore to <new_datastore>

Be sure you triger a new line after each entry including the last. If you get no errors on the restore and you cannot power on the machine then you have something wrong with the image.

V4
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Can try removing restored VM from vm inventory (Only remove from inventory , do not select delete from disk it will remove entire restored vm, and you will again have to restore complete VM)

Add it again by browsing datastore.

(I believe original VM was deleted from disk not just removed from inventory !!!)

try on same host with different name and without NIC or do not let it power on after restore.

After restore . Check in vcenter/vsphere if VM shows and uncheck connect on power for NIC. 

Check if VM works.if it does..

Try with NIC connected.... If issue persist..

Remove NIC from properties and add another NIC

Also verify all the required files have been restored correctly to datastore....(vmdk and vmx configuration do check size of restored files....)

Do you see any events in vsphere when restore is complete...