cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore fails Error nbjm (pid=52232682) NBU status: 906, EMM status: RB operator denied mount request

Amit_Pendse
Level 3

Hi All,

I am trying to restore but it fails by error

Aug 19, 2012 2:25:23 AM - Error nbjm (pid=52232682) NBU status: 906, EMM status: RB operator denied mount request

Details

Master server--9001SV Operating sys--AIX,Media server is Windows,Client Is Windows

Please look the file attached.

I tried to export the images giving error

bpimport terminated by signal (1)

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Very strange that restore is asking for this tape but it appears to contain no valid images:

Last Write Host:                NONE
Time Assigned:                  -
First Mount: 08/10/2012 01:28 Last Mount: 08/10/2012 01:28
Number of Mounts:               1
Maximum Mounts Allowed:         0
Media Status:                   FROZEN
Kilobytes:                      0
Valid Images:                   0
Retention Period:               -

I have never seen this kind of EMM and images mismatch since 6.x - unless you are using Recover without Import method where images are copied from another master server?

Please try and do phase 1 import of the tape.

Amit_Pendse
Level 3

Is this media expried and if so can you hekp me with steps of import.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

TN on how to import

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

The tape appears to have no assign time, which is a faily good indication it's not in the media DB.  It is also not associated with any media server, another indication.

bpmedialist -m MS0965 would confirm this is true or not.

What's odd, is that it is frozen, and you cannot freeze a tape if it is not in the media db.

I suggest you physically write protect the tape, and then go with the import as suggested by Mariane.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6
Is there a possibility that images were copied from another Master server? (Recover without Import method)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It looks like that, but that doesn't explain how the tape is frozen.

I'm thinking that some NBCC repair has been run, or manual SQL.

Martin

Marianne
Level 6

Reason for my thoughts:

Recommendations for Recovery Without Import:

1) Copy images to new master
2) Write-protect tapes
3) Add media to non-backup pool on new master

We see that tape is in NetBackup pool.
A backup to NetBackup pool will try and use this tape for backup. We see tape was mounted on 10 August.
If tape is/was write-protected, NBU would freeze tape if the mount was for a backup attempt.

Media Logs report for 10 Aug between 1 and 2 AM should tell us what happened during this tape mount.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I agree it does look like that , but that frozen status is bugging me - it can only have been frozen when it was in the media db, and, wouldn't expire and be deleted from the media db whilst it was still frozen.

So, yep - could well be "recovery without import" but I think something else has happened as well.

M

Marianne
Level 6

Tape is not in NON-backup pool. If mount on 10 August was a backup attempt and if tape was write-protected, NBU would freeze tape.
But you are 100% correct - backup attempt and subsequent freeze would result in tape being 'assigned' with appropriate media db entry.

Something very wrong in this environment.

Maybe OP can tell us if files/databases have been moved manually?

I would also like to see output of :
bpimagelist -backupid <backup_id> -L

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I can only reproduce this media state with an SQL command on the DB, something bad has happened in the past here ...

M