cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore fails Error nbjm (pid=52232682) NBU status: 906, EMM status: RB operator denied mount request

Amit_Pendse
Level 3

Hi All,

I am trying to restore but it fails by error

Aug 19, 2012 2:25:23 AM - Error nbjm (pid=52232682) NBU status: 906, EMM status: RB operator denied mount request

Details

Master server--9001SV Operating sys--AIX,Media server is Windows,Client Is Windows

Please look the file attached.

I tried to export the images giving error

bpimport terminated by signal (1)

9 REPLIES 9

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Very strange that restore is asking for this tape but it appears to contain no valid images:

Last Write Host:                NONE
Time Assigned:                  -
First Mount: 08/10/2012 01:28 Last Mount: 08/10/2012 01:28
Number of Mounts:               1
Maximum Mounts Allowed:         0
Media Status:                   FROZEN
Kilobytes:                      0
Valid Images:                   0
Retention Period:               -

I have never seen this kind of EMM and images mismatch since 6.x - unless you are using Recover without Import method where images are copied from another master server?

Please try and do phase 1 import of the tape.

Amit_Pendse
Level 3

Is this media expried and if so can you hekp me with steps of import.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

TN on how to import

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH72429

The tape appears to have no assign time, which is a faily good indication it's not in the media DB.  It is also not associated with any media server, another indication.

bpmedialist -m MS0965 would confirm this is true or not.

What's odd, is that it is frozen, and you cannot freeze a tape if it is not in the media db.

I suggest you physically write protect the tape, and then go with the import as suggested by Mariane.

Martin

Marianne
Is there a possibility that images were copied from another Master server? (Recover without Import method)

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It looks like that, but that doesn't explain how the tape is frozen.

I'm thinking that some NBCC repair has been run, or manual SQL.

Martin

Marianne

Reason for my thoughts:

Recommendations for Recovery Without Import:

1) Copy images to new master
2) Write-protect tapes
3) Add media to non-backup pool on new master

We see that tape is in NetBackup pool.
A backup to NetBackup pool will try and use this tape for backup. We see tape was mounted on 10 August.
If tape is/was write-protected, NBU would freeze tape if the mount was for a backup attempt.

Media Logs report for 10 Aug between 1 and 2 AM should tell us what happened during this tape mount.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I agree it does look like that , but that frozen status is bugging me - it can only have been frozen when it was in the media db, and, wouldn't expire and be deleted from the media db whilst it was still frozen.

So, yep - could well be "recovery without import" but I think something else has happened as well.

M

Marianne

Tape is not in NON-backup pool. If mount on 10 August was a backup attempt and if tape was write-protected, NBU would freeze tape.
But you are 100% correct - backup attempt and subsequent freeze would result in tape being 'assigned' with appropriate media db entry.

Something very wrong in this environment.

Maybe OP can tell us if files/databases have been moved manually?

I would also like to see output of :
bpimagelist -backupid <backup_id> -L

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I can only reproduce this media state with an SQL command on the DB, something bad has happened in the past here ...

M