cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore of a virtual server

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

Hello,

I am trying to restore a VMware Virtual server. This a legacy server which we want to migrate to a newer OS. For testing purpose we need a copy of the server.

We brought down the server started the backup using the vmware method. A snapshot was made and the backup started. When the snapshot creation was done we brought up the server again. After some time the backup finished succesful. 

Then I started a restore of the VM. A couple of month ago I did this the same way and I succeeded to restore the VM. Now we need a new copy of the production and we tried doing the same. Now the resore fails. What happens is I start the restore after a succesful backup. The first step is that Netbackup creates a VM, I ve seen this step and useally this takes a few minutes. With this restore it finishes after two hours and then we have a VM without any data in it, it just does the first step, creating a vm then it ends with "Status = VMware policy restore error, 2820".

I am tryng to do a relocated restore in the same VMware cluster on a different ESX-server, a different name, and a different datastore. We use Netbackup 7.6.0.1. I already enabled verbose logging on the Master server and the media server, but I can't find what prevents us from restoring the VM.

Whare should I start looking?

R

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for your respons, but it was very urgent so I logged asupport case and they pointedme at a technote. 

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH171837.html

It had something todo with the provisioning of the storage. 

Any way is is solved, I am restoring right now. 

Rob

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

are you trying restore using SAN method or NBD method?

if you are trying SAN restore. i would suggest you to try NBD as well if possible and see how it goes..

and if its SAN restore.

what is the backup host? does it windows server... if yes did you see the LUNs attached to backups are showing online in Disk management? if they are not Online..they should be online to make the SAN restore successfull

Rob_Dullaart
Level 5

Hi,

Thanks for your respons, but it was very urgent so I logged asupport case and they pointedme at a technote. 

https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH171837.html

It had something todo with the provisioning of the storage. 

Any way is is solved, I am restoring right now. 

Rob