cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restore of windows NT 4.0 from Netbackup 5.1

rookie11
   VIP   

Hi guys 

below mentioned problem has 2 question from one of very very old site in my project. i m surprised to see windows NT 4.0 using NBU 5.1

question 1 :last full backup was completed successfully, error code 0. but when i checked in BAR i saw system disks being backed up C, D,E but i didnt see system state[ like which is present separately in win 2000, 2003]. I donot know where is system state in windows NT???????  

question 2: SA has asked me to restore the entire C:\ . server is not actually down its just few system or application corrupted . SA want the whole C:\ restored. can anybody tell me how to restore Win NT C:\ through NBU 5.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If i remeber correctly NT4 doesnt have a system state - that appeared in Windows 2000 and Shadow Copy Components in 2003 onwards

So if you wnat to restore the whole system, just select the C drive at the top level and on the restore options screen select to overwrite existing files

During the restore you will get warnings about the system needing a reboot to apply the changes

Once the restore has completed just reboot it and it should put it back to how it was at the time of that backup.

Hope this helps

From the NBU 5.1 Admin Guide:

SYSTEM_STATE Directive
The System_State:\ directive is a valid directive only when backing up Windows
2000/XP machines. If the machine is not one of these types, and not Windows 2003 Server,
then System_State:\ will not have any effect.
Windows 2003 Server computers recognize the System_State:\ directive and behave
as if following the Shadow Copy Components:\ directive. A message informs the user
that this directive translation has occurred.
If the machine is Windows2000\XP, the list of items that get backed up can include:
◆ Active Directory
◆ COM+ Class Database
◆ Cluster Database
◆ IIS Database
◆ Registry
◆ Boot Files and Protected Files
◆ SYSVOL
◆ Certificate Server
On an NT system, the registry gets backed up in the process of regular file system
backups. The files that comprise the registry can be found in the following location:
%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\Config
At a minimum, the following files are backed up as part of the registry:
◆ DEFAULT
◆ SAM
◆ SOFTWARE
◆ SECURITY
◆ SYSTEM

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What is the backup selection for the NT 4.box ?. is it ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES for "just" c:\ d:\ e:\ ?

If it's only the drive selection then systm_states hasn't been backuped. That require either the use of  System State:\ selection along with the other drives.

The use of ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES will by default backup the System state:\

Qustion 2: 

Use NetBackup to perform a restore for a total and complete recovery of Windows XP, 2000, 2003, or 2008 client(s) that includes C: (and other system) drive(s), Shadow Copy Component, and/or System_State from a reliable full Windows-NT backup without IDR or BMR in the event of a Disaster (or need to fall back to a known working state).

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH56473

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

If i remeber correctly NT4 doesnt have a system state - that appeared in Windows 2000 and Shadow Copy Components in 2003 onwards

So if you wnat to restore the whole system, just select the C drive at the top level and on the restore options screen select to overwrite existing files

During the restore you will get warnings about the system needing a reboot to apply the changes

Once the restore has completed just reboot it and it should put it back to how it was at the time of that backup.

Hope this helps

From the NBU 5.1 Admin Guide:

SYSTEM_STATE Directive
The System_State:\ directive is a valid directive only when backing up Windows
2000/XP machines. If the machine is not one of these types, and not Windows 2003 Server,
then System_State:\ will not have any effect.
Windows 2003 Server computers recognize the System_State:\ directive and behave
as if following the Shadow Copy Components:\ directive. A message informs the user
that this directive translation has occurred.
If the machine is Windows2000\XP, the list of items that get backed up can include:
◆ Active Directory
◆ COM+ Class Database
◆ Cluster Database
◆ IIS Database
◆ Registry
◆ Boot Files and Protected Files
◆ SYSVOL
◆ Certificate Server
On an NT system, the registry gets backed up in the process of regular file system
backups. The files that comprise the registry can be found in the following location:
%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\Config
At a minimum, the following files are backed up as part of the registry:
◆ DEFAULT
◆ SAM
◆ SOFTWARE
◆ SECURITY
◆ SYSTEM

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

rookie11 - has the above answered your question?