cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring data for client deleted from netbackup

ghost_backup
Level 1

i'm new to our netbackup group, and more experienced with backup exec, and smaller amounts of data than my company currently backs up.  we're trying to clean up some old policies because the jobs are failing.  for instance, we have several vmware policies with different virtual machines.  some of those virtual machines no longer exist, but their data needs to be retained for several more years.  the person in my group that's worked the longest with netbackup says we can't remove those clients from the policy because then we won't be able to restore the vm if we need it later.  is that true?  if so, how do we prevent the policy from failing when it doesn't find the virtual machine?

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@ghost_backup wrote:

.... the person in my group that's worked the longest with netbackup says we can't remove those clients from the policy because then we won't be able to restore the vm if we need it later.  is that true?  

Your colleague is misinformed.

The policy database is complete separate from the image database. 

Removing a client from policies has no effect on the image database.

You will be able to restore for as long as images are valid (not expired).

X2
   VIP   

Marianne is 100% correct.

You can search for valid images in NetBackup Management > Catalog even if you have removed the policy/client.You can type in the policy name or client name yourself if it is not in the dropdown list.

My practice is to delete the policy (if no clients are left in it) and keep the client added to a "dummy" policy which has no schedules to run. This is not required but ends up useful to me in case I forget the client name (fickle memory!). With this setup, I just go to the Backup, Archive and Restore and choose the client from dropdown list.

Genericus
   VIP   

Unfortunatley both Marianne and X2 are WRONG, even though technically they are correct.

Your initial message inferred using the drop down menu for restores - and unfortunately, NetBackup does not use the catalog or the images to populate this, and instead uses clients in policies. However - you can manually type the name in after seaching your catalog...

My solution is to create a policy named "deleted clients" that never runs. I also have a decommission policy with extended retention to my decommission retention ( mine is 1 year ).

Process - move from active policy to decom policy, run 1 yr backup. Move to deleted clients policy. I have started date stamping the clients as well, so I know when to remove them.

I have this all scripted

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS