cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring files to VM (hyper-v) - error 59

gkman
Level 5

hey there.

I am new to NetBackup and while I think I got down the basics I am still wrapping my head around it.

I have a VM on hyper-v being backed up from the host. it is configured to enable restoration of individual files.

the other day I was trying to restore some files and received error 59, so I ended up restoring the files to the master server and moving them to the VM. 

now I am trying to find a solution to this error.

from searching around I found that the common reason for this error is the media server not being in the server list of the client. I went to the administrator console, and navigated to the clients in the host properties section. I couldn't find the VM in the clients list but I guessed that it is because that it is not actually a client but rather the VM host is.

I continued searching and found that in order to restore files to a VM it must have a client agent installed on it, so I went to the server to find out if it had agent installed. and I found it had a SQL agent installed. I continued searching to find what agent I need for the VM but all I found were forums claiming that all agents are bundled together (or at least some of them).

am I in the direction? what agent do I need if at all?

Help would very much be appreciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup Client software must be installed on VM if you want to restore individual files/folders to it.
(NBU Client software includes all agents and options.)

The client config (NBU registry CurrentConfig) must have a Server entry for the media server doing the restore.

Important that VM must be able to resolve media server's IP address to exactly the same name that appears in Server entry.
Media1 != MEDIA1 != Media1.FQDN.

Please create bpcd log folder under ...Veritas\netbackup\logs.

The log file that will be created in the folder will show how media server's IP address is resolved to hostname, and how this resolved hostname is compared with Server entries on the client.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup Client software must be installed on VM if you want to restore individual files/folders to it.
(NBU Client software includes all agents and options.)

The client config (NBU registry CurrentConfig) must have a Server entry for the media server doing the restore.

Important that VM must be able to resolve media server's IP address to exactly the same name that appears in Server entry.
Media1 != MEDIA1 != Media1.FQDN.

Please create bpcd log folder under ...Veritas\netbackup\logs.

The log file that will be created in the folder will show how media server's IP address is resolved to hostname, and how this resolved hostname is compared with Server entries on the client.

gkman
Level 5

It did the trick. Thank you.