cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

restoring image from an expired tape and deleted policy in NBU 7.0.1

grigori
Level 5

good day all,
hope that someone can help me in this, I am somehow new to NBU.

I have is the following scenario to accomplish:

one of my company's policy is to take a full backup on a tape then move this tape to another place. my colleague before was running a policy that takes a win2008 normal files backup, when the backup was successful he ejected the tape from the tape library and expired all the images from the catalog. when I came they told me that they need to delete some data from the win2008 server to save space, so I am obliged to check if the data is being totally present on that tape. for that I putted the tape back inside the library and "initiate import" then "import" the image back. now the image is imported successfully. but i suddenly knew that the policy has been deleted also and then the client is not present in the client choice for the master server.

the question is: how can I check if the data is present on the tape? I selected BAR to check the data heirarchy (directory trees) from th NBU GUI console, but i dont know how to select the drop down menus, and I am affraid that in some of these drop down menus I have to select the policy name. can I check the data without creating back the policy

many thanks inadvance for your help.

BR,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

As per Martin and Marianne you just need to do 2 things to resolve you issue:

1. check the client name for it correct case sensitive name - this should also be visible in the import logs

2. in the BAR GUI when you have selected the Restore selection just go to File - Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type. Again the policy type will have been shown during the import and if flat files will be "Standard" for Unix and "MS-Windows" for Windows. Click the "Edit Client List button" and in the pop up type in the exact name of the client and click "Add Name(s)" then click OK it. Now select that client as the source client and click OK

You should now see everything that has been backed up for that client.

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If I have understood correctly ...

If you have imported the data on the tape (phase 1 and phase 2) then this data IS on the tape, else you would not have been able to import it ...

So, no need to check anything ...

In the BAR gui, you do not need to select the policy name, but you do have to select the policy type ...

Martin

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NetBackup does not need a policy in order to do restores.

Policies are for backups only.

Restores need catalog information in image database on the master.
You will see a folder with the client name under ...netbackup/db/images on the master server.

When you browse for restores, all you need to know is the client name (exact spelling/case as per folder name under images) and the date on which backup was done.

The fact that you were able to perform phase 1 and phase 2 import says that the data is still on tape.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

As per Martin and Marianne you just need to do 2 things to resolve you issue:

1. check the client name for it correct case sensitive name - this should also be visible in the import logs

2. in the BAR GUI when you have selected the Restore selection just go to File - Specify NetBackup Machines and Policy Type. Again the policy type will have been shown during the import and if flat files will be "Standard" for Unix and "MS-Windows" for Windows. Click the "Edit Client List button" and in the pop up type in the exact name of the client and click "Add Name(s)" then click OK it. Now select that client as the source client and click OK

You should now see everything that has been backed up for that client.

Hope this helps

grigori
Level 5

thank you very much all: Marianne, mhp999, Mark_solutions
sorry about my first post it was not clear enough but as usual your answer was so right. What I was thinking that I have to have the policy in order to do the restore but I forgot that in the BAR GUI I can write the client name without selecting it from the drop down menu as you know if you delete the policy the client name will be cleared from client selections. As per what you said, I took the client name from the import job and then put it inside the BAR interface and then I searched for the images at the time the backup was taken and everything went fine.

(what I wanted to say in my first post is that I am sure the data is present on tape since the import was successful, but I needed to show my colleaugues the hierarchy of the data from the BAR interface)

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Thats great - just to let you know for future reference if you delete a policy it should not take it from the BAR GUI - the list there is created manually as you come to do a restore for each client (at least that is the case if using the Windows BAR GUI

The actual values are held in the registry - when you add a client you are simply editing the registry - a lot of people find it annoying that they do not appear in alphabetical order and one of my customers even wrote a little script that extract the values from the registry, sorts them and writes them back!

If you are interested they are located at :

HKLM\Software\Veritas\NetBackup\CurrentVersion\Config\ in the Clients key.