cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rhel 6.1 BMR backup with Failed to import Config file. (1)

CHONG_WU
Level 5

I run bmr backup the rhel 6.1 x86_64 client with netbackup 7.5.0.5, but failed with the following error. 1/26/2014 10:48:22 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=1860) BMRERR: Received BMR error: Failed to import Config file. (1) 1/26/2014 10:48:22 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=1860) BMRERR: Received BMR error: Failed sending the discovery. (1) 1/26/2014 10:48:22 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=1860) BMRERR: Received BMR error: BMR information discovery failed. (1) I check the bmrsavecfg -infoonly on the linux client, the error is as follows, /dev/sdf: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error /dev/sdg: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error /dev/sdh: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error /dev/sdi: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error What's the aboved error and the solution? Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

As you have found out, the Fdisk command on your system is failing with return code 123.

The error message given by Fdisk command, "This doesn't look like a partition table. Probably you selected the wrong device." is likely the cause of concern here. 

In case your fdisk command exits with 0 return code without Multipath software configured, in that case you may try to blacklist those concerning disks during Multipath configuration. I am not too sure on this.

However, this FDISK command failure is due to system behavior outside of NetBackup BMR due to which I may not be able to help further debug on this. You may want to determine as per your system requirement, the need for these partitions. 

Do let us know if after system configuration corrections you face any further issue with BMR.

Regards,

Rishi Raj

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

DO you have any volume mgr configured? Which?

Enable debugloglevel to 6 in nblog.conf file under netbackup folder and re-run bmrsavecfg -infoonly to generate more info in the log. That would help knowing the root case.

~Mandar

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

In case you have LVM configured and if you are seeing above errors during LVM configuration commands then you may need to check the /etc/lvm/lvm.conf for correctly configuring the Filter to accept only the required disk. [You can check if these messages come during "pvscan"]

The LVM configuration commands can give you these errors in various case, including in case you have a secondary passive controller or if partition used for configuration is not Linux LVM type partition, etc. You may need to fix for the ghost paths seen on you system.

Also, Have you configured any Multipath software configured on your system?

In any case, please rerun the bmrsavecfg -infoonly with debuglevel=6, as mentioned in above comment, to understand the root cause for BMR failure. Check the bmrsavecfg log on your client.

- Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5
No multipath configured on the system. Yes,I run the bmrsavecfg -infoonly with debuglevel=6. Only the aboved error comes out, not others.

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

bmrsavecfg -infoonly  runs certain commands on your system to gather the system details. I suspect one or more commands are giving these errors while execution, which is why you are seeing this output during bmrsavecfg run. We need to get the fail details from bmrsavecfg netbackup logs.

Do you have any volume manager configured? Is it LVM or any other?

Do you have any multipathed disks on the system?

You need to check the bmrsavecfg logs under netbackup logs folder to know which command failed or giving the above errors? Some detail from the bmrsavecfg log will help understand the issue.

- Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5
Yes, LVM and multipathed disks configured. I run vgadisplay and found the following error, how to remove error? /dev/sdf: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error /dev/sdg: read failed after 0 of 2048 at 0: Input/output error /dev/sdh: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error /dev/sdi: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error --- Volume group --- VG Name vg_is10 System ID Format lvm2 Metadata Areas 1 Metadata Sequence No 12 VG Access read/write VG Status resizable MAX LV 0 Cur LV 6 Open LV 6 Max PV 0 Cur PV 1 Act PV 1 VG Size 133.45 GiB PE Size 4.00 MiB Total PE 34163 Alloc PE / Size 34162 / 133.45 GiB Free PE / Size 1 / 4.00 MiB VG UUID oHEoQG-vK9o-Uylf-L7Mg-oDLf-6hOI-CIv8d3

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

Thanks for confirming. There seem to be a configuration issue on your system due to which LVM configuration commands are giving these errors. This may be the reason bmrsavecfg is failing.

I am not sure of your system configuration, but as mentioned in my earlier post there are few things you can check.

1. As your /dev/sd[f-i] disks are showing up these errors, you may consider to put a filter to them under /etc/lvm/lvm.conf file. That way these disks will not show up errors during LVM configuration.

2. As you have multipath disks configured, its possible some paths (sd[f-i]) are passive paths, in which case you may consider installing Multipathed software to handle them effectively. 

BMR on Linux supports EMC PP & Linux Native Multipath configurations. You can mark active/passive disk paths accordingly during multipath configuration.

3. You may also consider checking that the partitions over which you have created PV are shown as Linux LVM type partition (8e).

Please note that above are only pointers from my side, while actual solution to the system setup problem may vary. 

-Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5

After the lvm.conf's modification,  how to active the filter of  the lvm.conf if I don't reboot the system?

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

You may want to go through RHEL documentation to find out ways for LVM configuration with filters.

Once you have configured the setup correctly, the bmrsavecfg run should be successful.

-Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5

BTW, also found the error 119. DELL Utility and W95 FAT32 has the problem. BMR doesn't support this kind of file system?

119:

1/27/2014 17:26:45.918 [ParseClientInformation.cpp:ParseClientInformation()] Client command '/bin/cat /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client//diskImport.list 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/xargs /sbin/fdisk -lu 2>/dev/null' failed with exit code 123

1/27/2014 17:26:45.918 [ParseClientInformation.cpp:ParseClientInformation()] Critical function failed. OutputType = FDISK_NUM.

OSLevel:6.1

BMRVersion:7.5.0.5

Command:/bin/cat /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client//diskImport.list 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/xargs /sbin/fdisk -lu 2>/dev/null

OutputType:40

Key1:

Key2:

Key3:

Key4:

Key5:

ExitCode:123

+++ START BMR DATA +++

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/mapper/mpathap1              63      369494      184716   de  Dell Utility

/dev/mapper/mpathap2   *      369495     4578524     2104515    b  W95 FAT32

/dev/mapper/mpathap3         4579328     5603327      512000   83  Linux

Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.

/dev/mapper/mpathap4         5603328   285474815   139935744    5  Extended

/dev/mapper/mpathap5         5605376   285474815   139934720   8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/mapper/mpathap1: 189 MB, 189149184 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 22 cylinders, total 369432 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x8a42b4c3

This doesn't look like a partition table

Probably you selected the wrong device.

BMR  support W95 FAT32 filesystem or not?

119:

1/27/2014 17:26:45.918 [ParseClientInformation.cpp:ParseClientInformation()] Client command '/bin/cat /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client//diskImport.list 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/xargs /sbin/fdisk -lu 2>/dev/null' failed with exit code 123

1/27/2014 17:26:45.918 [ParseClientInformation.cpp:ParseClientInformation()] Critical function failed. OutputType = FDISK_NUM.

OSLevel:6.1

BMRVersion:7.5.0.5

Command:/bin/cat /usr/openv/netbackup/baremetal/client//diskImport.list 2>/dev/null | /usr/bin/xargs /sbin/fdisk -lu 2>/dev/null

OutputType:40

Key1:

Key2:

Key3:

Key4:

Key5:

ExitCode:123

+++ START BMR DATA +++

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System

/dev/mapper/mpathap1              63      369494      184716   de  Dell Utility

/dev/mapper/mpathap2   *      369495     4578524     2104515    b  W95 FAT32

/dev/mapper/mpathap3         4579328     5603327      512000   83  Linux

Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.

/dev/mapper/mpathap4         5603328   285474815   139935744    5  Extended

/dev/mapper/mpathap5         5605376   285474815   139934720   8e  Linux LVM

Disk /dev/mapper/mpathap1: 189 MB, 189149184 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 22 cylinders, total 369432 sectors

Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes

Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x8a42b4c3

This doesn't look like a partition table

Probably you selected the wrong device.

CHONG_WU
Level 5

Thanks. BTW, also found the error 119 as attachment.  Have Dell Utility and W95 FAT32 system the problem. How to do next?

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

As you have found out, the Fdisk command on your system is failing with return code 123.

The error message given by Fdisk command, "This doesn't look like a partition table. Probably you selected the wrong device." is likely the cause of concern here. 

In case your fdisk command exits with 0 return code without Multipath software configured, in that case you may try to blacklist those concerning disks during Multipath configuration. I am not too sure on this.

However, this FDISK command failure is due to system behavior outside of NetBackup BMR due to which I may not be able to help further debug on this. You may want to determine as per your system requirement, the need for these partitions. 

Do let us know if after system configuration corrections you face any further issue with BMR.

Regards,

Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5

I found  the two partition is FAT and FAT32 file system,  but they are on uninitialized entities, what's  this? BMR support FAT file system or not?

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

I am not too sure what you mean by uninitialized entities. In case you do not really need those two partitions due to which FDISK command is failing, then you may considering formating them fresh using fdisk command and create a valid file system that can also be mounted.

This way your FDISK command failure could be avoided. Also, BMR doesn't current support FAT file system on LINUX, but this may not come in way of BMR if FDISK command failure is handled as mentioned above (or by any other means).

- Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5

From the disk utility of rhel 6.1, this two partition is on the side  of uninitialized entities. I don't know why redhat doesn't reconize them.

CHONG_WU
Level 5

Any other suggestion  from the aboved question ?

rishi_raj_gupta
Level 4
Employee

I don't have any other specific suggestion, other than you try to get rid of those two partitions from your system which are not even recognized correctly by redhat, thereby fdisk command giving error.

I hope you have tried formatting those two partitions and/or create a redhat recognized filesystem over those.

- Rishi Raj

CHONG_WU
Level 5
But Dell engineer replied that don't opearate the two partition, maybe system will crash.

CHONG_WU
Level 5

What's the error code '123'? Is it  refered to 'Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary' or '

This doesn't look like a partition table Probably you selected the wrong device' ?