Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rman and allocating chanel

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

hello

what is the purpose of allocating chanel when linking oracle with oracle on unix ?

could any one explain that for me ?

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

'Allocate channel' is part of the backup script. Most of the required steps can be found in chapter 3 of the manual (Configuration). Please read the manual - that is how most of us learned how to perform agent backups - nobody to ask, no forums - just the manuals.

You need to work with your Oracle DBA -  you will work together to do the linking - sit together with the instructions in the manual on how to do the linking and get the DBA to run the oracle_link command and verify the symbolic link afterwards.

The DBA's job is to create the script. NetBackup provides sample scripts. The DBA can choose to use the sample scripts and modify them as per your environment or create them from scratch. The sample scripts are in /usr/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman.

Your function is to create the policy as per the manual. The DBA will give you the exact path to the script which you will add in Backup Selection in the policy.

Before testing any backups, ensure that log directories are created on both cluster nodes:

Create the folders under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs:

bpcd, dbclient and bphdb

Change permissions on dbclient and bphdb log directories to ensure write permission for oracle user:

chmod 777 dbclient bphdb

You also need to verify forward and reverse lookup from the master and media server to the virtual name. Also ensure that the client(s) can resolve hostname and IP for master and media server(s). Best to add hosts entries on servers and clients.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Use the ALLOCATE CHANNEL command to manually allocate a channel, which is a connection between RMAN and a database instance.

Basically you're telling the RMAN to make a connection to the database to use when doing the backup. You give it a name i.e. ch1, and you tell it to use a certain type of storage, in NetBackup's case, SBT_TAPE.

allocate channel ch1 device type 'sbt_tape';

This will create one stream in Netbackup to do the backup. You can also create another instance using the same settings but calling it ch2, for instance. That would create another stream in NetBackup.

Marianne
Level 6

Remember to include the virtual name in the script :

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE';
allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE';
send 'NB_ORA_POLICY=your_policy, NB_ORA_SERV=your_server, NB_ORA_CLIENT=virtual-name’;
backup
(database format 'bk_%U_%t');

or

run {
allocate channel t1 type 'SBT_TAPE'
parms="ENV=(NB_ORA_POLICY=your_pol,
NB_ORA_SERV=your_server, NB_ORA_CLIENT=virtual-name)";
allocate channel t2 type 'SBT_TAPE'
parms="ENV=(NB_ORA_POLICY=your_pol,
NB_ORA_SERV=your_server, NB_ORA_CLIENT=virtual-name)";
backup
(database format 'bk_%s_%p_%t');

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

hello

thank you both for your reply

Marianne you mean to add the virtual name because it is cluster HP-UX 11.3 based on my other open thread

actually ,after allocating the chanel , i must create the policy right ? or any additional step after allocating the channel ??

and if yes i need to create the policy,could you help by sending me screen shot how to add the script in the policy ,i do not know if i;m clear i have this missing point on what to do on the policy ,how to point it to RMAN script

appreciate your feedback

regards

Marianne
Level 6

Yes, you need a policy of type Oracle. All policy requirements are documented in NBU for Oracle Admin Guide.

Unfortunately this manual is not very clear on clustered Oracle installations. Add the virtual hostname in Client list. Ensure that script specified in Backup Selection exists on both cluster nodes. Best to create RMAN script on shared storage so that you have only one copy of the script to maintain and always accessible.

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

Hello Marianne

thank you for your reply,

i really appreciate your help ,my problem is that this is the first time that i do this installation and i'm completely lost,

from where to get this script ,how to add it, i have read the document ,there is too much things, and i'm lost on what to follow and what should be done so that the backup of oracle works

could you give me step by step after allocating the chanel what to do ??

Appreciate your help

Regards

Marianne
Level 6

'Allocate channel' is part of the backup script. Most of the required steps can be found in chapter 3 of the manual (Configuration). Please read the manual - that is how most of us learned how to perform agent backups - nobody to ask, no forums - just the manuals.

You need to work with your Oracle DBA -  you will work together to do the linking - sit together with the instructions in the manual on how to do the linking and get the DBA to run the oracle_link command and verify the symbolic link afterwards.

The DBA's job is to create the script. NetBackup provides sample scripts. The DBA can choose to use the sample scripts and modify them as per your environment or create them from scratch. The sample scripts are in /usr/netbackup/ext/db_ext/oracle/samples/rman.

Your function is to create the policy as per the manual. The DBA will give you the exact path to the script which you will add in Backup Selection in the policy.

Before testing any backups, ensure that log directories are created on both cluster nodes:

Create the folders under /usr/openv/netbackup/logs:

bpcd, dbclient and bphdb

Change permissions on dbclient and bphdb log directories to ensure write permission for oracle user:

chmod 777 dbclient bphdb

You also need to verify forward and reverse lookup from the master and media server to the virtual name. Also ensure that the client(s) can resolve hostname and IP for master and media server(s). Best to add hosts entries on servers and clients.

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

thank you Marianne

you have helped me a lot,i really appreciate it

regards

JJ58
Level 4
Partner Certified

hello Marianne

last question here

what do you mean by  Add the virtual hostname in Client list??

Regards