cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

robtest

shashi0621
Level 5

can i use below robtest commands  to move tapes from slot 1 to slot 3?

and from cap slots to drive?

m s1 s3

m p2 d1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes you can. Try it (but make sure no backups are running as robtest takes access away from Netbackup whilst you are running it).

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes you can. Try it (but make sure no backups are running as robtest takes access away from Netbackup whilst you are running it).

shashi0621
Level 5

hi revaroo,

Just a small doubt.

I am getting below error while unloading media.

after this I have to run m d11 s23   ?

unload d8
Opening /dev/rtape/tape78_BESTnb, on the local host, please wait...
Error - cannot open /dev/rtape/tape78_BESTnb (No such device or address)
unload d11
Opening /dev/rtape/tape81_BESTnb, on the local host, please wait...
Error - cannot open /dev/rtape/tape81_BESTnb (Device busy)

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Please understand that NBU will not be updated when you move tapes around with robtest, and will therefore cause inconsistencies and errors. I do not think that tape can be moved from CAP directly to a tape drive, but as revaroo suggested - try it. WHY would you need to move tapes around like that?

shashi0621
Level 5

tapes can be moved from slot to slot?

tapes can be moved from CAP to drive?

why I am getting unload error?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Again - WHY would you need to move tapes around like that? No such device or address means that the OS has lost connectivity to the drive. Verify at OS level that device exists. Check with commands such as scan. Device busy means that tape is in use. If this is SSO environment another media server is probably using it. Tape reservation can be viewed on the master server with vmdareq command.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Unload is a tape drive command which causes it to be re-wound and popped from the drive

This will often also make the robot out the tape back to the slot it came from

You do not normally need to use the unload command - just m d11 s23 should be enough

A s s will probably show that the tape is already back in s23 by the tome you ran the next command

Only use unload if a tape is stuck in the drive - otherwise just use the m commands

shashi0621
Level 5

Thanks Mark,

I just need to know whether I can move tape from CAP to drive?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

It would be robot dependant - robtest only sends a scsi command, if the robot allows it is outside of robtest.

You will have to try it and see.

The unload error: (eg)

Error - cannot open /dev/rtape/tape81_BESTnb (Device busy)

Would appear to be because you are trying to unload a drive that is busy.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I cannot see why not - but NetBackup will be totally unaware of this movement other than possibly reading the tape header when it arrives in the drive - so you do need to put it into a slot and run the inventory at some point

shashi0621
Level 5

it did.

MOVE_MEDIUM complete
m p2 d2
Initiating MOVE_MEDIUM from address 11 to 501
MOVE_MEDIUM complete

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

shash,

You can normally move from d d or s d or d s or s s, as mentioned. NetBackup won't know about the changes. You'd have to re-inventory for it to pick up the changes.

Again - not sure why you want to do this. It's only useful if you are having issues with mount/unmount, to test the robot is not having issues.